Odd electrical outlet problem

Old 06-29-19, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odd electrical outlet problem

Hi, I have a question that I was hoping to get advice on. Last night the circuit breaker tripped for the living room. Went I went to reset it, it wouldn’t reset and my wife said she heard a popping noise from the wall. After some trouble shooting I found that after disconnecting an electrical outlet (in the living room), the breaker would reset. I replaced the outlet with a new one, however the same thing happened again- complete with the popping noise coming from the wall near the outlet box. The house is fairly new built in 2009 and this is the first time I’ve ever had a problem with the outlet. I live in the US, California to be exact.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-19, 04:02 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Popping noise inside the wall is probably the wires arcing. There must be a damaged cable.
Could be rodent damage, damaged on install but just now decided to short, new picture hung and nail pierced cable?

Old 06-30-19, 05:34 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Do you get the same results if you leave the receptacle installed but pulled out of the box? Can you determine if the popping noise is coming from within the box?

Old 06-30-19, 01:35 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Hi, is there an outlet on the wall behind it?
Geo