Power strip on a UPS battery system?

Old 06-30-19, 06:21 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power strip on a UPS battery system?

Is it OK to use a power strip (without surge protection) to one of the surge+battery outlets on a UPS battery system? I have a cyberpower UPS with Capacity of 1300 VA / 810 W.

I currently have 1 router, 1 modem and 1 security system hub connnected to the surge+battery outlets. It has 5 surge+battery and 5 surge only ports, but the 3 devices I have plugged into the surge+battery outlets have blocked the other 2 outlets due to oversized adapters.

Now, I am thinking about installing a google mesh router system. Problem is, these mesh routers usually come with only 2 ethernet ports. I like to hardwire my 2 computers in my work room workstation to the router (so far no problem because current router has 5 ethernet ports)

So, I think I need to get a powered switch to plug into the first google wifi puck so that I can hardwire my 2 desk computers at my workstation. The UPS does not have room for plugging the switch. I would like the switch to have uninterrupted supply as well.

Any thoughts on using a power strip in this situation. Just about every forum I have gone to say it is a big no no to plug in a power strip to a UPS. Mine is a 1300VA/810W UPS, and the power draw from these devices is minimal

Last edited by PJmax; 06-30-19 at 06:37 PM. Reason: New thread created for this post.
Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

06-30-19, 06:44 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
I see absolutely no reason not to plug a power strip into a UPS.
You should use power strips with no additional surge suppression. Let the UPS supply the protection.

Old 06-30-19, 06:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
I see absolutely no reason not to plug a power strip into a UPS.
You should use power strips with no additional surge suppression. Let the UPS supply the protection.

CasualJoe, joed voted this post useful.
Old 07-01-19, 04:51 AM
A
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
... it is a big no no to plug in a power strip to an interruptible power supply ...
The clause extracted above is totally, 100%, wrong and false.

You can think of a power strip as a glorified extension cord.

The circuit breaker (if any) on a power strip is intended to protect the power strip and reduce fire hazard to objects near it, not necessarily protecting any source supplying it.

Old 07-01-19, 04:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 606 Votes on 559 Posts
I have a couple set-ups in my house where I have a power strip plugged into a UPS and they have worked fine for many years.

Old 07-09-19, 05:59 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you didn't want to use a power strip, they make 6" extension cords that allow you to plug wall warts into them and then the UPS. This is what I did.

https://amzn.to/2L9SOBB