Question on grounding coaxial cable

Old 07-06-19, 08:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on grounding coaxial cable

Hello all,

We recently purchased a house and got cable service. The previous owners had a cable box already installed. We also had a paired wire service installed for a month before cancelling and signing up for the cable service.

Both boxes are on the same exterior wall. The paired wire box is grounded to a ground clamp and rod next to the wall. The cable box ground wire is loose. I suspect, although don't know for sure, that the paired wire contractor snipped the cable ground when they installed theirs.

I don't want to spend for a service call if I don't have to. It seems easy enough to strip the end of the cable ground and connect it to the rod. My questions are: 1. Am I missing anything that warrants having a professional come out and do this? 2. Can I have both the cable and paired wire box grounded to the same rod? We don't have paired wire service, but I don't want a safety issue that may come from having ungrounded connections.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-19, 09:58 AM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
Neither install is correct. It should be grounded back to the main service ground not a separate ground rod.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-06-19, 11:25 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Hi, post a pic of what the area around the service looks like, does the ground rod have a connection to the building ground?
Geo

Old 07-06-19, 12:18 PM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
"Neither install is correct. It should be grounded back to the main service ground not a separate ground rod."

Both were installed incorrectly. I would want an intersytem bonding bridge installed near my electric service and would expect these other companies to employ technicians who knew enough to know how to ground their systems to code by utilizing the intersystem bridge.

Old 07-07-19, 04:38 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
All ground rods about a building and used for any permanent equipment including TV antennas need to be interconnected using #6 copper wire run outside (typically along the foundation) as much as possible.

The connection from the panel ground to a ground rod is never required to be fatter than #6 although it might need to be fatter if it is the same wire that goes to a water pipe ground regardless of which grounding electrode it goes to first. (I don't have handy at this moment the table for grounding electrode conductor size versus service conductor size.)

You can do all of the needed work yourself if you so choose.

Old 07-07-19, 05:43 PM
Pictures of ground connection

Thanks everyone. I have some pictures and now that i look at it, it does appear that the rod or clamp is connected to the main ground via a conduit along the foundation. The actual connection appears to be underground.

The white wire is the ground for the paired wire box. The cable ground is a black wire that is loose.

If all grounds are supposed to be connected to the main ground, then should i attach the cable ground wire to the same clamp as the paired wire ground?

Name:  g1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  g2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  190.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 09:21 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Old 07-08-19, 06:01 AM
Two wires may be held by one screw provided that the wires do not touch each other and neither wire can slip sideways out of place just prior to tightening of the screw.

Old 07-09-19, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the advice

I think i can attach both separately. Out of curiosity, if they are both connected electrically via the clamp, why does it matter if they are touching?

Old 07-09-19, 06:28 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts

This will do catv, phone, sat, etc to the main grounding conductor.
search for intersystem bonding connector.

Old 07-09-19, 10:46 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Yes, that is an intersystem bonding bridge that I referred to in post #4. I prefer those from Arlington, but that one is fine too.

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/gr...nding-bridges/

Old 07-09-19, 06:46 PM
If the two wire ends have to touch each other to stay in place then that probably means that the terminal was not designed or intended to hold two wire ends.

When the wire ends touch there is a greater chance they will become deformed within the terminal over time and the connection will become loose.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-09-19 at 07:04 PM.