30amp Dryer Outlet (Single Pole Breaker)

Old 07-06-19, 10:48 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
30amp Dryer Outlet (Single Pole Breaker)

My 200amp panel is pretty full so I started mapping all the circuits since I suspected that there are abandoned circuits or circuits with very small loads on them. I am used to finding dryers on 30amp double pole breakers but it looks like mine is on a 30amp single pole breaker which doesnt make sense to me since it needs 240v.

Attaching a photo of the breaker & panel. The dryer is setup on the one marked (4). Just for reference, I didnt find anything on (2) and my cooktop is setup on 6 & 8 (2x 30 amp single breakers; it turns off if either is flipped)

I just bought the house a few months back and am looking to free up some space for a finished basement. A few circuits are setup to control 1 or 2 outlets or <4 lights.

I checked the dryer outlet and it does have 2 120v legs which seem ok and the unit works great.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-19, 11:23 AM
Received 83 Votes on 73 Posts
The dryer is setup on the one marked (4). Just for reference, I didnt find anything on (2)

Hard to tell from the picture, but I suspect that both breakers at (2) and (4) are 30 amp single pole breakers and powering your dryer. If I am correct, you need to replace them with a 2 pole 30 amp breaker.

my cooktop is setup on 6 & 8 (2x 30 amp single breakers; it turns off if either is flipped)

The same applies to (6) and (8), replace them with a 2 pole 30 amp breaker.

Is that a Crouse-Hinds panel?

Old 07-06-19, 01:25 PM
J
Received 236 Votes on 207 Posts
If you are relying on the light or the motor to tell you the dryer is off that is your problem. Both of those devices run off 120 volts so if you turn off the breaker on the leg they are on it will appear the dryer is off.
Try measuring the voltage to ground or neutral from both pins when the one breaker is off.

Old 07-06-19, 07:48 PM
B
Thanks for the tip and you were right.
One quick follow-up, when I turned off 2 and checked both legs against ground, the side that was turned off was giving 30 volts to ground; why is that instead of 0.
The other side was 120 and I didnt test it when I turned that side off.

Old 07-06-19, 07:51 PM
B
100% right! Is there any reason someone would set them up this way other than the single breakers were there already? Maybe they have 2 12 guage wires in the area and that made it easier vs running a new thicker wire and using a double breaker?