power lost to gfi

Old 07-07-19, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
power lost to gfi

Heres my problem. just bought a house, i was going around checking all outlets in the basement to find that they all had an open ground. so i grounded them all and then grounded them in the breaker box.. ground wires were capped for whatever reason by last homeowner. i have now lost power to an electrical box in my kitchen that holds a gfi and a switch for the garbage disposal. there is no power to this box anymore. i have power at all the breakers and none are tripped and all of the other gfi s are working... there is nothing else without power except this one box.. side note. i did find a junction box that had some half melted wires and i discovered that there is some aluminum wiring in the house. i did fix this problem with the right connectors but it still did not solve the issue...Any advice or ideas is greatly appreciated...

Last edited by blucas; 07-08-19 at 12:29 AM. Reason: just wanted to add some stuff
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-19, 03:55 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is this box the only thing on the circuit? How many cables are in this box?

#1 - Double check to be sure there are no more GFCI receptacles anywhere else in or around the outside of the home. There can possibly be more than one GFCI on a circuit. I have found GFCI receptacles in people's homes that they did not even know they had and they lived in the home for years. Check behind bushes, in the basement, behind shelves or boxes in the garage etc.

#2 - If you are sure after checking that there are no more GFCIs other than the ones you know about the first thing I would do is go back and re-check your connections.

Old 07-08-19, 08:28 AM
Received 22 Votes on 17 Posts
i did find a junction box that had some half melted wires and i discovered that there is some aluminum wiring in the house. i did fix this problem with the right connectors but it still did not solve the issue

I think I'd look at this issue again to be sure and if it is Ok, I'd then start looking for another junction box with the same problem. You mention that there is some aluminum wiring in the house, are the GFCI receptacles connected to aluminum wiring? In case you don't know, there are no GFCI receptacles manufactured that can be directly connected to aluminum wiring.

Old 07-08-19, 10:16 PM
no other junction boxes with the same issue.. and i did check..gfis are hooked up to copper and no aluminum

Old 07-08-19, 10:20 PM
connections are all good.. and there are no more gfi s inside or out... this happened the same day i grounded all the outlets in the basement so im almost sure its something i did.. just not sure what because everything is working except the one box

Old 07-08-19, 10:28 PM
and response to is this the only thing on the circuit...i have no idea... i have 6 sets of cable coming through the basement floor from the kitchen that i can see so i have no way of telling where they are coming from.. and like i said everything is working in the house except the one box.. and no breakers are tripped+