Lower existing electrical mast head below eave.

Old 07-09-19, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lower existing electrical mast head below eave.

The existing electrical service mast and weather head go through the eave on the side of the house. If there is enough ground clearance why not bring it below the eave? I donít like the look and itís another hole in the roof and this install was not done correctly as the mast is pulling through the eave.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-19, 01:37 PM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Sure. Why not. Call your local POCO and ask them what the clearances are. Then you will know if it can be done.
The mast should not be pulling through the eve. It must not be fastened to side of the house properly.

Old 07-09-19, 07:17 PM
It seems like it should be ok. The PG&E Greenbook shows it must be 12' or more and it's about 15-16' now. But I have to be 3' above the window and there is 70" or almost 6' between the top of the window and the eave. Not sure how close I can be to the eave.

Name:  head.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  94.5 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 07:36 PM. Reason: imported picture from link
Old 07-09-19, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
It looks like it can be mounted under the eave. It can almost touch the eave and in some instances with a strong eave..... the hook can be on it.

Question...... you have a very tall house and the service was extended over the roof..... why ?
Is there something between the house and the pole that's in the way ?
How far from the pole to your house ?

Old 07-09-19, 07:50 PM
Nothing really in the way and losing 2-ish feet on one side should not matter too much.

The service was at the front of the house and I could have grabbed it on my tiptoes. My neighbors still is and goes across my front yard a bit. At some point they moved it and I’m guess because it was way too low in the front and once in the back they just wanted it out of the way. I put in the garage and driveway and it’s not like I want it lower but I’d rather it was not going through the roof.

Here is a pic of the pole it goes to:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wWDjnRktGXZ8kr2Z6

Attached Images   

Last edited by PJmax; 07-09-19 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added pic from link and one enlarged pic
Old 07-09-19, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
I think distance is the issue.
Measure the distance and ask the power company if that makes a difference.

As an aside..... I've never seen service cables attached and connected on a pole like that.
Very strange. Looks like a lot of load on a transformer.

Old 07-09-19, 08:14 PM
Not seeing anything about distance but could see how flex in the line over distance may cause them to increase the height requirements. I’ll try and ask them.

I’m thinking of running it underground but it will take too long and not sure about many aspects of doing so. They say it would only be $3-7k. I guess that is a lot to just get rid of a wire but I think they look awful, especially coming off that pore old 80 something year old pole.

But I need to get it moved so I can redo the roof.

Old 07-09-19, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Here's the deal..... from what I can see..... that pole is in the neighbors yard. That means for you to go underground..... they would set a pole on your property and go underground from there to your meter. Not a terribly pretty site either.

In a new development when all is underground..... it would have been trenched thru your neighbors yard. Now.... I don't believe they can go underground on your neighbors property.

Old 07-09-19, 09:05 PM
No, when I asked them about it they said they would go underground at the pole then down the street and into my backyard. Also, there is a pole across the street at the front of the house that would be closer. The one they used before moving everything to the back of the house.

Old 07-09-19, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting. Neither of the two major companies in NJ would do that.

Old 07-09-19, 09:41 PM
Received 20 Votes on 17 Posts
That looks pretty common to me. With the two utilities that I am familiar with the distance can be as much as 175 feet before they need to plant another pole. Underground services are run along the front of properties where the utilities have an easement.

Honestly, when I had the roof on my previous house replaced there was no problem with the electrical service which was installed in a similar manner. I suspect that roofing companies are familiar with working around these problems.

Old 07-10-19, 08:02 AM
The poles are at the street, the one at the back is in front of the other house but I don’t see why you would not go underground at the street. If you had to put another pole I don’t think anyone would do it. As far as I know your whole front and side yards are a big easement.

It would be easier to just put the missing strap at the top so it’s no longer slowly pulling the eave apart but I don’t like the look and almost everywhere there is something coming through the roof there currently is a leak.

When I called PG&E awhile back they said it would be $75 to lower it and $1500 if the existing wires will not support 200amp service and if I want 200amp service. When I rewire the house I do want that but at the same time they said they won’t do it unless I can show that the house can currently use more than the existing 100amp service. But I want to future proof now. I have an EV that I want to add a charger for in the garage and want to add an induction range and so on but I really have to do all that first?

Any easy way to tell if the existing wires would support 200amp service? From what they said it’s unlikely as they just want to run the minimum currently needed.

Old 07-10-19, 06:05 PM
Group Moderator
The power company doesn't automatically increase the size of the drop based on a service increase. They follow a set of electical codes that are different from the ones in your home. They are allowed to run over the maximum current rating of the wire as it is in "free air".

An underground service is different. They would need to run a larger sized wire if a 200A service was being connected.

Old 07-11-19, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
IF the mast was lowered below the eve you will also need a knob attached to the house to support the overhead wires. Right now the roof and eve are helping support the mast which is carrying the overhead drop. Your install is a very common installation.

IMO you are gaining nothing by lowering the mast and losing several thousand dollars.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.