Square d replace/ surge protector

Old 07-09-19, 06:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Square d replace/ surge protector

Does the Square D QOC panel require the " exact "same breaker an manufacturer for replacement , including if you are adding a whole house surge protector?

I was looking to update it on a few breakers too.

I also may have had a surge an I will need to look at the panel an secure everything inside it an test circuit for a short ....Lightning oddly went thru a area at roof -no metal-where the pvc air vent pipe comes out at ,but oddly no breakers tripped- .just 1 circuit with no power at outlet wiring an 3 outlets in 1 room with no power...
Is there anything I should look at in particular after a surge ,an what is a good whole house surge protector to use on this panel[though I know nothing is 100%]?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-19, 05:15 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Square D Q0 panels only take Q0 breakers.

If you know the house actually got hit by lightning, it would be a good idea to have an electrical contractor come out and do a megger test on the wiring. I would think your insurance would pay for this and any other damage the lightning caused.

Surge protectors are rarely able to defend against direct strikes as lightning is so incredibly powerful. Any of the major brands like Square D, Eaton, Siemens make quality whole-house protectors to defend against nearby strikes.

Old 07-10-19, 05:27 AM
T
Received 40 Votes on 39 Posts
A few years ago, I took a direct strike on an antenna at the house. I had a QO panel with the QO2175SB installed. The housing development had all underground power distribution. A lot of the strike energy went down the radio equipment into a local GFCI wall receptacle, which was destroyed. Quite a long spark shot out of another recept and into a drywall screw almost a foot away and knocked off some drywall mud.

Anyway, some widely placed damage around the house, but the surge protector still had its little green light lit. I"m in the business of electronic device surge protection for substation equipment, so I noted with more than casual interest the damage, and more importantly, the energy path. Without going into tons of detail; I can say that the entire home ground system shot up many tens of thousands of volts, due to that strike. This was with 3 ground rods, spaced, and tied into the service entrance system with 2" wide copper strapping and bonded into a copper water system.

This was not a "large" bolt of lightning. The actual wire it hit was 14AWG and survived, but with considerable insulation damage. A plastic insulator exploded due to steam.

Old 07-10-19, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,018 Votes on 945 Posts
Lightning is still one of life's great mysteries. The only thing that is certain is that it can cause a lot of damage.

I could tell you stories all day with what I've had to work on.

One particular interesting call was a neighbors tree was struck directly by lightning. The strike went to the ground, followed a wooden split rail fence around my customers property and jumped from the fence and into the house. There it traveled thru several circuits causing damage. I had guessed that the wet fence rails were like a conductor that the lighting followed. Very weird.