Garage wiring problems

Old 07-11-19, 08:37 AM
Garage wiring problems

I decided to rewire my garage. I cut out all the old wire and replaced the old wire, boxes, and receptacles.

Coming into the garage are 2 hot 1 neutral and 1 ground wire. I capped and taped off one of the hot wires and split the other hot inside a junction box. Then I sent one leg into a gfci outlet then to the exterior light. The other leg I sent to a single pole switch to a new light inside the garage.

When the switch is off the light is still getting some current. It glows very dimly. I thought maybe the new switch was defective. I returned and replaced it but the problem is still there. What could be causing this phantom current?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-19, 08:48 AM
What is meant by 'one leg'. You should have sent a hot and neutral to the GFCI and to the switch box and from the switch box to the light. Then in the switch box blacks go on the switch and whites get wire nutted together.

Old 07-11-19, 08:59 AM
I split the hot and neutral in the junction box. One "leg" of the split goes to the gfci then to an outside light. The other "leg" of the split goes to the single pole switch that controls the inside light. That side is where the problem is. It doesn't connect to the gfci.

Old 07-11-19, 10:26 AM
You can't 'split' the hot and neutral. You need to run them together.

Old 07-11-19, 01:47 PM
Sorry, I will try to be more clear.

Each line was split to run in 2 different directions. One hot+neutral to the gfci and one hot+neutral to the switch.

The gfci side is working good.

On the other side I wired a single pole switch to an indoor light. This is where the problem is. The light still glows faintly with the switch off.

The hot wire is connected to the line in screw of the switch. The neutral is wire nutted to the neutral bypassing the switch.

All of the wire except where it enters the garage is new.

Old 07-11-19, 03:21 PM
What type of switch? If it is a lighted switch that is your issue. They shunt a tiny current through the load for the light when off. This is often enough to make a LED or CFL glow.
What happens if you disconnect the wires from the switch and turn the power on?

Old 07-11-19, 06:10 PM
It's not a lighted switch. Just a basic switch.

I'm not sure what your suggesting.

What happens if you disconnect the wires from the switch and turn the power on?
I can try this tomorrow. But I assume nothing would happen. The light wouldn't have any power going to it.

Old 07-11-19, 06:32 PM
The light shouldn't have any power going to it with the switch off. Disconnecting the wire will confirm whether switch is actually turning off the power fully.