combining lampposts on 2 separate circuits into one.

Old 07-19-19, 08:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
combining lampposts on 2 separate circuits into one.

Circuit 1: only controls 1 lamppost (2 bulbs) on the yard near the front door of the house and 3 lights on the ceiling in front of the garage. The 1st circuit is controlled by a timer 1 mounted next to the breaker panel.
Circuit 2: only controls 3 lamposts on the other side of the asphalt driveway, each lamppost having 3 bulbs. The 2nd is controlled by timer 2 also mounted next to the breaker panel.
There is a short on circuit 2 somewhere underground between the panel and the first lamppost on the circuit 2 (determined by a certified electrician).
I have checked and found that there is continuity between the 3 lampposts on Circuit 2.
The lamppost 3 on circuit 2 is closest (about 50 ft from the lamppost on circuit 1 in front of the house, separated by a driveway. So a new wire will be run from the lamppost of circuit 1 to the lamppost 3 on the Circuit 2.
A person (small company) that runs cable underground (for Verizon,...) will make a trench and drill below the driveway to run conduit and wire from lamppost on circuit 1 to the 3rd lamppost on circuit 2. He also does electricical works but he is not a certified electrician.
I have some questions:
What is the proper way to cap off Circuit 1 at the panel? Should I remove its circuit breaker in the panel and cap off the black hot wire with a wire nut.
Do this project need county permit (btw, i live in Fairfax county) or just the approval of a certified electrician? I am selling my house and the buyer wanted the work done by a certified electrician.
How much is the normal cost for a certified electrician to come to approve it?
Thank you very much for your help.

BTW, this house was built 20 years ago. each of the bulbs at that time was at least 40W if not 60W. Each bulb now is only 7-10W so I dont think there will be any problem with overload.

Attached Images  
Old 07-19-19, 08:32 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
If you need to have an electrician sign off on the work to complete the sale of the house, these questions all need to go to that person. It's their license and insurance on the line and many, probably most, electricians will not just show up and sign off on someone else's work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: