Long Conduit Pull - 8 THWN Wires

Old 07-20-19, 02:12 PM
Smile Long Conduit Pull - 8 THWN Wires

Wanted to check with those who may have experience on long pulls before wasting money on larger conduit, and ask those who may have experience with this.

I have a long pull of 130' plus a 90 degree entry into the ground at 2' deep and another at the exit.

The conduit I'm planning to use is 1 1/2" (apparently a 27% fill size to comply with NEC)

There are 8 THWN wires to pull, ideally at once. 4 of them are #4 AWG and the second four are #6 AWG. The seller says that the wires are slightly glazed for easy-ish pulling.

I asked an electrician for help and whether this is doable, before I buy, join and bury the conduit. He believes so, and has a 240' fish tape and wire lube.

Thoughts appreciated. Just want to know it's not a moon shot! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-19, 03:32 PM
Upvotes Received: 47
Why so many wires? You are only permitted one circuit between buildings. You should only need to pull 4 wires max.

Old 07-20-19, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
I typically do not use lube, it only makes a mess. The supply house is correct, today's wire is jacketed with a super slick coating that makes pulling easier, also negating the need for lube.

I also agree, what are you pulling that many wires? I have pulled 8 #8 wires on a 370' pull but that was for parking lot pole lights and that pulled not too bad. We had two guys feeding it into the pipe and one guy pulling. We also set up a pully so we were pulling straight out of the pipe. Lastly, we pulled in a rope to pull with because pulling on a fish tape is hard on the hands.

Larger pipe is always easier to pull in. With PVC I will always go a size or two larger then what the book says I can do. 1 1/2" should work fine as it is one size larger then you need.

You should only need to pull 4 wires max.
Five if it is 3 phase.

shayne.bates voted this post as helpful.
Old 07-20-19, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 206
Welcome to the forums.

I....on the other hand..... am a firm believer in lube. Yes it makes a mess but I find it helpful.
One thing you need to be careful with is pulling a lot of heavy wiring thru a PVC sweep.
The sweep can melt with the resistance of the jacket sliding by.

Old 07-21-19, 05:16 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 32
That 370' pull I mentioned earlier (Forgot to mention the ground, so it was 9 wires) we replaced the existing wires because they burned up inside the pipe (480 volt) for some reason about 80' in the run. Pulled out the old wires while pulling in a string, pulled in the rope using the string. then, pulled in the wires all with no lube.

Old 07-22-19, 05:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 34
It shouldn't be too bad, but a helper is necessary on this job. One pulling, one feeding in, and usually the feeder is working harder. You shouldn't need to pull that hard. You also need to make sure you're pulling wires in straight with no twists or kinks. The best is right off the roll if possible. If that's not possible, lay the wires out on the ground so you can uncoil and untwist them in advance. If they twist up in the pipe, you'll be SOL. Since you only have one bend, a tapered head isn't that critical, but do make sure any sharp edges are wrapped up well with tape so they don't snag on a pipe fitting.

Old 07-22-19, 08:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The #4 are for a 50A 4 wire circuit to my RV.

I plan to use a transfer switch and isolate the #4 during power failure, and the #6 cable to feed Generator power to the house during shore power outages. The Genset is a high end Onan commercial diesel, with L1/L2 32A each and 7500W.