Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Question about Under Cabinet Lighting and Installation of Range Hood

Old 07-20-19, 08:36 PM

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen and need some help. There are currently 3 under cabinet fluorescent fixtures that I am looking to replace with LEDs. I like the tape lighting but am open to other options as well. The existing lights are controlled by a single switch. From that box, there is a 12/2 cable that runs to each fixture (1 NM supplying power, 3 running to the fixtures). I’m trying to figure out how the new under cabinet lights would be wired. My understanding is that there is a transformer and low voltage wiring. I’m not sure how this would be accomplished and if there are best practices for transformer placement, etc.

I am also looking into the possibility of repurposing one of the existing NM cables to power an exhaust hood (hardwired, no receptacle). This would assume that the new LEDs use low voltage wiring. This would be a stand-alone hood above the range (no microwave). My understanding (though I’m not 100% certain yet) is that NEC does not require a dedicated circuit in this particular circumstance. Although I am having difficulty even finding a hood where the manufacturer doesn’t stipulate a dedicated circuit. This particular lighting circuit seems to have a very light load (checked with clamp meter), so I thought it may work. Unfortunately, I have no ability to easily pull a new circuit.

I appreciate any advice/suggestions. This is the first time I’m doing under cabinet lighting, so I apologize in advance for the questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-19, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
One option is to reroute the existing cables slightly and install an outlet in the back of the cabinet. Then you plug a wall wort power supply into that outlet to power the LED tape lights.

You said you want to use one of the existing under cabinet light cables for your vent hood. Isn't that cable switched with the other lights? If so power to the vent hood will be turned on and off with the under cabinet light switch. You probably want a cable to the vent hood that is constantly hot and not switched.

Old 07-21-19, 07:41 AM
You said you want to use one of the existing under cabinet light cables for your vent hood. Isn't that cable switched with the other lights? If so power to the vent hood will be turned on and off with the under cabinet light switch. You probably want a cable to the vent hood that is constantly hot and not switched.
I would change it at the box, so that it is always hot (not switched).

Old 07-21-19, 08:24 AM
Upvotes Received: 8
Hi, not actually sure what you have there, how many cables are in the box with the switch? May be a few pics would be helpful.
Geo