S.S. tie wraps?

Old 07-22-19, 04:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
S.S. tie wraps?

I am building a steel garage kit. To install wiring, would like to minimize adding holes in the steel frame pieces. Clearly cannot use staples, and any kind of clip would need holes and self tap screws and a lot more effort; nor easy to rearrange if needed.

I found a good deal on a big bag of stainless steel tie wraps a.k.a zip ties. I thought these would be quick and easy for attaching the various runs of 'romex' cable to the steel ribs and ceiling trusses. This sound feasible? Wanted to get an opinion before presenting to my inspector. (California). Who has been quite reasonable on a couple of issues so far. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-19, 04:59 PM
Received 65 Votes on 61 Posts
Why not just use normal plastic zip ties. SS sounds expensive.

Old 07-22-19, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
IMO stainless steel wraps might not be a good idea. They tend to have sharp edges and a metal coil around an energized conductor might induce a current in the wrap.

Old 07-22-19, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
A new steel building naturally begs for doing this with EMT. IMO, its a great look. Plan on wasting a couple lengths of pipe in the learning process, but once you get it, 1/2 work moves pretty quick. There are a number of different hangers available, maybe even one for your design building.
To be clear; Im talking using THWN, not NM.

Furd voted this post useful.
Old 07-23-19, 04:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
My steel building is a commercial structure but all the wiring had to be run in conduit. It's not that bad. Chuck up the correct bit in a cordless drill or impact driver and use self drilling self tapping screws to attach the brackets.

Old 07-23-19, 05:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I would also lean toward a metallic wiring method, since you'll be using metal boxes anyway. If you go with EMT or MC/AC you can fasten directly to the steel framing members using a half strap and a tek screw.

NM (Romex) is really designed for use in wood framed buildings. It's not the preferred material for metal framing.

If you do end up going with Romex, you could use stacker clips. They can be fastened to wood with a nail or steel with a screw.

Old 07-23-19, 07:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. As a 'residential' addition I believe NM-B is acceptable. The wiring will largely be running along thick steel tube so adding a tiny amount of metal in a strap is insignificant as far as any inductance. I found these in 500 quantity that are almost the same price as heat stabilized nylon ties (which melt about the same temp as the PVC jacket). The SS ties have 4 times the strength. I'll run both options by the inspector.

Old 07-23-19, 08:20 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would avoid straps that don't have a rolled edge. Even NM staples are not to have sharp edges. See what the inspector says.

Old 07-23-19, 08:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Yes, NM should be allowed; it's just not the preferred material to use with steel framing. It can get cut, skinned and pinched very easily when pulling it around steel members; and as you're finding out they don't really make compatible fittings and fasteners so you have to do something bootleg.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.