Any safety concerns with a junction box in the ceiling?

Old 07-25-19, 07:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any safety concerns with a junction box in the ceiling?

I know it's not code but.....

I'm in the process of installing recess lighting in the kitchen and the wiring wasn't as I thought. I'm trying to get power to a switch in the kitchen and need to extend the hot wire so it will get to the switch. The easiest thing to do would be to screw a junction box to the ceiling joist and splice another romex and then run the hot to the switch. I know it's not to code to install boxes in a closed ceiling but the ceiling technically wont be closed because I'll have a recess can in front of the junction box. I know it's not to code but is there any danger of doing this? If I ever need to get to it again I can just take the can down and do what I have to do with the junction box.

Basically I'm adding a junction box so the hot will get to the switch, then installing a can in front of it with the wire coming back from the switch. I tired adding a pic for reference. The recess light will be the beginning of several other recess cans, that's where it would start so the switch controls them all.

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-19, 08:12 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Can you make the splice in the recessed can junction box? Those are a PITA to work in, but they technically meet code.

Old 07-25-19, 08:34 AM
M
Ya, that's an option but I don't think all the wires will fit in there. That is my option 1, but the boxes are tiny. I'm using HD Commercial Electric which are bigger boxes than Halo, they may fit, but I doubt it.

Old 07-25-19, 11:21 AM
Received 66 Votes on 56 Posts
Could you increase the size of the existing box with an extension or replace it with a larger one (2-gang switch box)?

Old 07-25-19, 11:27 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Code says boxes have to be accessible; it doesn't say exactly what that means. I think as long as the box is right next to the can opening it can satisfy the accessibility requirement, although not an ideal arrangement if you can figure a different way.

Old 07-25-19, 11:34 AM
A
Received 68 Votes on 62 Posts
Someone might correct me on this, but, if it happens to be attic above, and that part of the attic is accessible, meaning you could get to the box and work inside it, I believe that could be an acceptable option.

Old 07-25-19, 04:08 PM
M
It's not an attic..it's the 1sr floor kitchen it doesn't seem to be a safety concern from the comments so I'm gonna go for it

Old 07-27-19, 09:06 AM
P
Received 6 Votes on 4 Posts
"doesn't seem to be a safety concern" only applies if you can access the splices in the box, period.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: