220 outlet questions

Old 07-25-19, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 outlet questions

When we moved into our older home my husband replaced all the plug outlets in the house. There was one that was different than the others, so he replaced it with the regular outlet he put in all the other boxes. He did not tell me about doing this and when I plugged anything in the outlet, like a lamp, the light bulb exploded. One day I told him this kept happening when I used this particular plug and he told me about the strange outlet that had been in there originally. I told him that was because that outlet was probably wired for a larger appliance like a dryer that uses 220 and we stopped using it. Months later I was looking at the cities building permit web site for some information. I found a place you could look at permits previously issued by address. I checked our address and saw that the main panel had been upgraded and 220 added.

Now I would like to put a new window air conditioner in and would like to buy a larger 220-volt unit to replace the small 115 unit we have currently. The problem is he can not remember what the outlet he took out looked like. I am wondering if they all are standard and if not how do I know what type to buy. Also is it normal that lightbulbs blew up if plugged in this plug? I was reading another post talking about lower voltage tools could go in the higher volt outlet because they only draw the power they need to work. If that is true, does that mean the light bulbs blew up because they could not handle the higher voltage? The lamp still worked once I put a new light bulb in it.

I would appreciate any information you can share. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-19, 07:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
It sounds like you have a 240V circuit that was probably used for a window AC unit in the past. First you have to identify which double-pole breaker controls this receptacle and determine if it is 15A or 20A (it will be stamped on the handle). The correct receptacle would be a 6-15 or 6-20 depending on the breaker rating.

Yes lightbulbs would pop if you connect them to a 240V circuit.

CindyV11 voted this post useful.
Old 07-25-19, 08:30 AM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
They are standard. You need to verify the voltage on that receptacle. It does sound like it was a 240 volt receptacle probably for an AC.
Check the AC you want to buy and get a receptacle to match it after verifying the voltage and amps of the breaker. If it is a 240 volt receptacle then the breaker should be a double pole.

CindyV11 voted this post useful.
Old 07-25-19, 07:35 PM
Thank you! That is a big help!!!!

Old 07-26-19, 10:25 AM
Thanks I was looking for the exact same thing, I have a computer brought to me from a different country and I wondered what will happen if I try to plug it in using an adapter.

Thanks

Old 07-29-19, 05:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Most computers are designed to run on any standard international voltage, you only need to select the proper cord to match the country you are in. Look somewhere on the computer or on the computer power supply for a label that lists acceptable voltages. It will often be 100V-240V which means it can be powered in any country. If that's the case you often will just need to get an IEC C13 power cord to match your country's receptacle. Laptops may have a different cord so check closely.