New combo switch/outlet config question- red wire?

Old 07-26-19, 05:46 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New combo switch/outlet config question- red wire?

Hi Iím replacing a double light switch with a new combo light switch/outlet. The light switches previously controlled a vanity and a ceiling light. These would Both be controlled by the single switch on the new receptacle. I have a three wire line cable with black, red, white and ground wires, and a two wire load cable. Iím installing This receptacle has two wires coming out the back labeled ďswitch output ď. The instructions do not include a red wire in its configurations and Iím not sure what to do with it!
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/GFSW...et_English.pdf

Last edited by KerryOn; 07-26-19 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Insert photo
Old 07-26-19, 06:13 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
Were the white wires connected together?
If they were then the two wire cable is your incoming power. Connect the black to the receptacle gold screw and one of the switch wires. Connect the white via a pigtail to the receptacle silver screw.
The black and red are wires to the two lights. Connect both of them to the other switch wire.

Old 07-26-19, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
You can add a short tail to the white splice to go to the receptacle or connect both white wires to the receptacle. This device is approved for two wires per screw terminal.

Name:  combo3.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  37.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-26-19 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 07:36 PM
K
Yes. The two white wires where taped together , but they werenít pigtailed to anything. Also, the black wire on the three wire cable was the hot one... tested it.

I have Photos of the original set upÖ But canít figure out how to upload them from my phone!

Old 07-26-19, 07:42 PM
Group Moderator
Try this......How-to-insert-pictures.

If the black of the three wire is definitely hot..... then the red is one light and that two wire cable is the other light. That would also mean that there would have been a jumper wire between switches connected to the black hot wire.

I changed my drawing to reflect this change..........

Last edited by PJmax; 07-26-19 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-26-19, 10:21 PM
K
Thanks PJ. That makes sense. You're a superstar!!

But, just to make sure you have all the info...

I've attached photos of the original switch set-up... note that on the original set-up the top switch did not work... ie: nothing happened when it was toggled. The bottom switch turned on both the vanity and the ceiling light. Who, when, and why it was set up this way I don't know... previous owners. Actually, the switch looked fairly new so suspect they replaced a faulty one and just didn't get it back together correctly.

You can see in the photo the white wires were taped together but not pig-tailed to anything. The black wire from the 2 wire cable and the red wire were attached on the left side. The Hot wire from the 3 wire cable was attached on the right.

Probably doesn't make any difference to your drawing... more interested in what should be done... not what was done!

BTW... apparently I can't load pics from phone... says there's a problem with this at the link you shared. Actually had issues even replying to your posts from my phone. Looks like they have some work to do on their mobile app! Had to get home to use my computer.

Name:  s1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  s3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  95.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-27-19 at 11:00 AM. Reason: resized/labeled pictures
Old 07-27-19, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Your pictures were massive.

You didn't tell us that only one of the switches is working. You have what you said was hot on the switch output side and you have the other red and black on the input side and connected together.

Something is not right here.

Old 07-27-19, 12:24 PM
K
Yeah PJ... things didn't look or work right on the original switch. Ergo why I decided to replace it. Since there wasn't an outlet in this basement bathroom decide to do a combo outlet.

I did try to post photos/info right after my original post, about the top switch not working, but I ran into a bunch of issues ... All of this was on my phone. Spent about an hour trying to get around the issues then gave up and decided to wait till I got home to use my computer (the switch is at a my aunt's house - no internet!)

I'm going over in about an hour and will try your configuration.... will let you know!

Last edited by KerryOn; 07-27-19 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-28-19, 06:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
It simply looks like they were using the device to join the black and the red. With no output on the one screw there is nothing for the switch to operate.

Old 07-28-19, 10:21 PM
K
Cool

Update: So I tried again to install the combo/switch receptacle and just couldn't get it to work... The outlet worked but the switch would trip the GFCI everytime I toggled it on. Bad switch?

Ran out of time and just reinstalled the switch... but correctly this time. After looking at the pictures I noticed the previous load wires were hooked on to the side with the break away tab. So I switched them to the other side and put the line wire on the tab side. Voila! Both switches worked and control the vanity and ceiling lights independently. So at least three days of working on it produced some positive result!

Thank you all for all your input. At some point I may try again. But now it's time for a

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: