Upgrading old oven circuit

Old 07-27-19, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrading old oven circuit

I'm remodeling my kitchen and my existing oven is wired with 6 awg aluminum wiring that has two hots and a bare twisted aluminum ground. I'm debating whether or not I should upgrade it. Pulling a new 6-3 wire is out of the question due to where this is with respect to the electrical panel. However, I could potentially run a single 6awg thhn wire from my service panel through some existing conduit into my crawl space and run it to this location. The conduit is already fairly full, so not sure I'll succeed in pulling it, but it s an option if that is legal. I understand that you can run a separate ground wire to upgrade old oven wiring, but I'm not sure if the same is true for neutrals.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-19, 02:34 PM
Received 85 Votes on 78 Posts
Not going to be code compliant. It is permissible to pull a separate ground but it is not permissible to pull a separate neutral, which is what you need.

If you can pull a separate wire why can't you pull a whole 6/3 cable?

Old 07-27-19, 06:43 PM
I have no way to run sheathed through the walls back to the service panel without major demolition.

I can get somewhat easy access into my crawl space from the service panel, so I can run THHN with conduit. I already have two runs of conduit entering my crawlspace for various 220v circuits. I could possibly fit 1 6awg cable through one of the existing pipes but there's no way I could run 4. I'd have to add an additional conduit to the service panel that went into my crawl space and it's already getting a bit busy over there.

Should I just stick with my existing three wire run?

Old 07-27-19, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Your existing 6-2 aluminum cable run is good for a 240v 50A max. appliance
If your appliance requires 120/240v..... you will be forced to upgrade the wiring.

Old 07-28-19, 11:12 AM
https://products.geappliances.com/ap...ecs/PT7800SHSS

It doesn't specifically call out 110/120v in the specifications and the whip attached to the appliance shows instructions for 3-wire installation, so I assume I'm ok with my existing 3-wire setup?

Could I get by indefinitely with this 3 wire setup with the understanding that appliances won't be grounded properly?

Old 07-29-19, 07:25 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
Could I get by indefinitely with this 3 wire setup with the understanding that appliances won't be grounded properly?

From your description what you have is probably SEU cable which provides 2 hots and 1 neutral. You can continue to use the SEU cable following pre-1996 rules, the grounding is through the neutral conductor.