grounding my house

Old 07-31-19, 02:26 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grounding my house

I know it is hard to believe but my house is not grounded.

I live in a rural area and have a horrible time finding contractors who actually do anything or even show up to offer a bid. I have contacted the few listed electricians in this area but they schedule appointments and never show up.

I want to ground my house.

What do I need to do?

Please be as detailed as possible.

Thank you in advance for any help and consideration.

Old 07-31-19, 03:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
There are two grounding systems in a house. One is for high voltage events like lightning. The other is connected to the third prong of a receptacle and is for safety. Which are you asking about..?.

Old 07-31-19, 03:16 AM
T
My local electric company provides a "Generlink" service for hooking up a generator to power the house during power outages. Prior to installing the company inspected the house and determined that the house is not grounded. They will install without the grounding but said they will not be able to include surge protection without the house being grounded.

I don't know if that answers your question but I am not sure of the answer. I assume it is for lightning.

Old 07-31-19, 06:59 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
For a typical electrical service, there will be a bare copper wire about #6 awg that runs from the neutral bar in the main panel to a means of earth grounding. This can be an underground copper water pipe, steel well casing, ground rod(s), or sometimes foundation rebar. Do you have anything like that? Can you include a picture of your main panel?

Old 07-31-19, 07:34 AM
T
As stated above. " Prior to installing the company inspected the house and determined that the house is not grounded."

Old 07-31-19, 07:41 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm not trusting that they are correct. Electrical services have been earth grounded for a very long time.

Assuming you don't have any earth grounding, the procedure would be to run bare #6 copper wire from the neutral bus in the main panel to two ground rods outside. The rods should be driven flush to the earth and connected to the bare #6 using brass acorn clamps. The rods should be at least 6' apart from each other, and you can "loop" the wire through the first clamp and continue on to the second. It's best to keep it unbroken.

It's also good practice to loop the wire through an "intersystem ground bridge" where it exists the house near the meter. This is where any secondary services like telephone, antenna or cable installers would connect their ground wires.

All of these parts are usually right next to each other in the electrical aisle of the home center stores.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: