Converting home to Audio/Visual Alerting

Old 08-08-19, 03:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting home to Audio/Visual Alerting

Hello,

I am looking to change out my standard (single) doorbell chime for 3 units that strobe and make noise. I am familiar with changing out light fixtures and the basics of wiring but could use some help making sure I'm not going to overload anything or catch anything on fire.

I am looking to purchaseÖ

3 of these:
Edwards Signaling 6536-G5 Horn/Strobe CFA Series, Audible/Visual, 24V AC/DC, 92/82 db, 50 Candela
Operating Voltage: 24V 50/60 Hz | 24V DC
Alarm Current: 175 mA | 125 mA
(http://www.edwards-signals.com/files/i-6536-g5.pdf)

1 of these:
Edwards Signaling 599 - 120V/24V - 40W Transformer
(http://www.edwards-signals.com/files...ransformer.pdf)

1 of these:
Dayton 6A858 - Single Function Encapsulated Timing Relay, 24 to 240VAC, Mounting: Surface, SPST-NO, 1.00A @ 120V
(https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY...psulated-6A858)

I have taken down my old doorbell chime and see that it has a 16V/10VA transformer on it currently. I would like to mount one of the 6536ís where the existing doorbell was with the new transformer behind it like the current doorbell. I would like to run doorbell wire (18/2) from that box through to my office to mount another 6536 and the final 6536 would have wire run to it upstairs. I am comfortable running the wires and mounting the units.

I have a few questions though:
  1. Where would I wire in the timing relay and how would I connect all 3 together?
  2. Could I run this with my existing hardwired doorbell button (Iím pretty sure it is 18/2 wire)?
  3. Are all the components compatible with their A/V/VAC/VA/W? From what math I did it seemed like I would be ok since everything is 24V and should be under 1A of load.
  4. Is 18/2 wire sufficient for the load that will be on it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Name:  timer.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  19.3 KB

Name:  DoorbellA.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  DoorbellB.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  90.0 KB

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
599_&_599Y_Transformer.pdf (3.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: pdf
i-6536-g5.pdf (20.6 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by PJmax; 08-08-19 at 05:24 PM. Reason: resized pictures/replaced diagram
Old 08-08-19, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,336 Votes on 1,234 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I replaced your diagram as I'm fairly certain it was incorrect. As far as I can tell.... just the button goes to the timer module input terminals. You should definitely not have 120v on the button wiring. Fixya is not always correct.

Going to be quite tough to fit the power supply and the timer module in that two gang box.
Do you have alternate plans ?
You're going to need more wires to that location. At the minimum..... the two pushbutton wires and two wires out to the other two horn/strobes. #18 cable is fine for the low voltage.

Old 08-08-19, 07:04 PM
S
Thanks Pete!

I made up this wiring diagram (attached) based on how I interpreted your correction. Please let me know if I totally misunderstood this.

Right behind the wall that I posted the picture of where the current doorbell is there is a closet for my office. I was planning to cut open the wall basically right behind that box and install another box to house the timer since it's in a closet and I don't care if there's a blank plate cover there. I agree I don't think it'll all fit in that one box.

Also, I know I can use wire nuts for most of the connections but I'm not sure what method I would use to attach the wires to the timer. Any suggestions?

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-19, 07:25 PM
Group Moderator
That's it..... you've got it correct.

Old 08-08-19, 07:29 PM
S
Great! Thanks for the help on this.

My only remaining questions are:
  1. What would be the proper way to attach the wires to the timer on those metal tabs?
  2. Will the LED lighted button work? Will it just not light up potentially?

Old 08-08-19, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
The lighted button should work but I doubt it will light up. If I knew the internals of that module there may be a way of doing it but I couldn't find any info. If you find the circuit tripping by itself...... you may have to try an unlighted button.

You would use 1/4" female crimp-on terminals.
Name:  term.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  2.6 KB

Old 08-08-19, 08:25 PM
S
Is there a different timer that you would recommend that would work better?

I'm not dead set on any of the components I listed they just seems reasonably priced and seemed like they would be compatible with each other.

Old 08-08-19, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Do you need a timer for this application ?

Old 08-08-19, 09:07 PM
S
From what I understand if I do not use one the strobe/horn will only activate for as long as the button is pressed. Most people just tap them so I wanted a way for it to strobe at least a couple times.

is there a different/better way to achieve this?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: