14-3 question.

Old 08-08-19, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
14-3 question.

In helping my son re-wire his bathroom, I came upon something I've not previously encountered. I'll try to explain things as clearly as possible: First, it's a 50's house, secondly, some wiring was removed before I could map it out, and lastly, he's adding a bathroom fan during the remodel. What we have by the sink, is 14-3 coming into a 2 gang box, external ground. Across the room, the switch has 14-2, wht/blk, and if we connect those two wires, the red across the room becomes hot. I assume that those connections are in a 4x box in the attic. I lieu of re-wiring back to the panel, the simplest fix is pulling the 14-3 into the attic into a new 4x box, along with the original 14-2, tying the 14-2 together, then running new 14-3 to the new switch box, using the red for fan, black for light, then sharing the common. I can then tie in 14-2, and drop it down for the gfci by the sink. Pro-cons, better ideas? I'm all ears. Thanks, Jim.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-19, 05:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Code wise the only thing you can re-use the existing circuit for would be the lighting and fan. Modern code requires a 20A circuit with #12 wiring for a bathroom GFCI. Depending on how extensive this remodel is you probably should bring the bathroom up to code since it loses grandfathering when you remodel.

Your assumption sounds correct that there is a junction box somewhere else, maybe in the attic, that is feeding the other boxes in the bathroom. 1950s houses often use the ceiling light box or the vanity light box to splice so check those ones too. You can add additional junction boxes as long as they remain accessible, for example can't be covered by drywall or cabinetry unless you cut a hole in the back of the cabinet.

hangemhigh voted this post useful.
Old 08-10-19, 06:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the info. We'll proceed accordingly.