Need to reroute a 220 underground line

Old 08-09-19, 06:27 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to reroute a 220 underground line

I began Excavating for a small pond on the side of my home and I came across an underground 220 line that runs from my main panel in the garage to the pool sub panel in the backyard. Its really in my way and I need to cut it and add several feet in order to reroute it around the outer edge of the pond and trench it. What is the correct way to do this?

Old 08-09-19, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
It should be in conduit as it requires an insulated neutral...... is it ?
You need to duplicate what's in the conduit.

A temporary splice isn't really a problem but what is the long term plan ?
You can't bury junction boxes or underground splices for a pool.

Old 08-09-19, 06:43 PM
B
No. It is not in conduit. It was just buried roughly 8" below the surface. The wire you see in the photo is exactly how it is. The long-term plan is to just keep it on the Outer Perimeter of the pond and keep it buried like it has been for the past 30 years. I just need to add several feet to the line if possible

Old 08-09-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
UF cable supplying a 240v item is required to be buried 24" below ground. Inground pools are required to be bonded and connected back to the main panel with an "unbroken" insulated ground wire.

If you are planning to repair what is there without any corrections.... you need to get an item like ScotchCasts. They are a "test tube like" plastic housing where the wires are spliced..... usually with wirenuts, placed in this housing and filled with epoxy resin making them watertight. You'd need two kits.

They also make kits that use a glue filled heat shrink tubing. They come with a splice block to reconnect the wires and then the tubing is shrunk down with a blow dryer.

My preference is the epoxy type splice.
Shrink type splice
ScotchCast splices

Old 08-09-19, 08:42 PM
B
Gardner Bender HST-1300 Underground Cable Splice Kit for Waterproof Splicing, 14-8 AWG, UF Copper Wire - Includes: 8 inch. Heavy-Wall Heat Shrink & Screw Splice Connectors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WLKR/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_u4ItDbV0KWHPP

The epoxy option seems very solid. I like it. However, is the shrink wrap link you sent me the same product as this one? and I'm guessing this product is good for 3 wire?

Old 08-09-19, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
Look closer at that product...... check the pictures on the left.
It comes as a kit for one single wire or with a block for three wire UF cable.
Two different versions of a similar kit.

Old 08-09-19, 09:30 PM
B
I had to Google the HST - 1300 model and it did come up as a three or four wire connection. The first picture on Amazon is wrong for that particular model. Appreciate the help. This should solve my problem easily

Old 08-10-19, 02:36 AM
Group Moderator
They are selling two kits. You pick the kit you want. The pictures are shown for both kits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: