Wiring a control panel in an A/C Window Unit...?

Old 08-10-19, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a control panel in an A/C Window Unit...?

So here is what im trying to do.. i have a 10,000 btu window unit that i am trying to extend the face plate cover, in order to run air underneath my bed in my travel trailer/camper, sort of like ducting. i need the face plate to be about 5 ft extended from the actual body of the unit and my problem is that i need to also extend the wiring harness that goes from the main unit to the control panel on the face plate. it looks to me like the existing wires consist of 9 - 28 awg wire and 2 - 24 awg wire. i spliced into the 28 awg wire with 24 awg wire, and the 24 awg wire with 16 or 18 awg wire. i tried plugging in the window unit but the control panel does not work. it seems to me that the resistance in the wire is what is getting me but i am no electrician. does anyone out there have any idea on what may be wrong or have some suggestions on what i can do?

Name:  a1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  113.2 KB

Name:  a2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  a3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  72.8 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-10-19 at 10:56 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 05:09 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Did you include a ground wire from the air conditioner chassis to the control panel metal frame?

Low voltage connections and circuits may use ground (the chassis) as a common conductor or return conductor.

Double check your wiring.for mistakes.

Old 08-10-19, 11:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That looks to be all logic level wiring so the size is not important.
Did you check the reset on the GFI plug to make sure it was set ?

I don't think that will require ground to that face to operate.
I would also recommend double checking your wiring.

Your next logical step would be to use a meter and check for 120vAC on the control board where the power cord is connecting.

You'll probably need to remove the control section from the front panel and then reattach the front panel. That panel is needed in place for proper mechanical operation to keep the incoming and outgoing air separated.

Old 08-11-19, 11:29 AM
wiring is correct. all i did was pull connector out and extend 5 ft. there was no ground going to control panel. as far as incoming and outgoing air is concerned, im going to build sealed boxes to direct both air flows, but the only problem im having is the wiring issue. gfi plug, when tested on plug in, lights up green, then when i push the test button the reset pops out and green light goes off. every like 4th time i do this, i get a beep from the control panel, like it is trying to turn on but cant. when i bought the unit, every time i plugged it in, it beeps to signify it kicking on... now its not doing that, but it seems like its trying.

Old 08-11-19, 11:48 AM
Is there a pressure switch on the body of the unit requiring the grill to be in place for the compressor to kick on?

Old 08-11-19, 04:43 PM
JackSammy i thought that... no there isnt.

Old 08-11-19, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
I'm at a loss. It's not an easy area to troubleshoot as it is low level logic. If you had a scope it would be easy. I'd start by seeing if there is 5vDC to the front control panel. I'd imagine the black is ground.... no idea which color is the +.

I tried looking for service info on that model and didn't find anything helpful.

Old 08-12-19, 09:21 AM
PJmax "I'd start by seeing if there is 5vDC to the front control panel. I'd imagine the black is ground.... no idea which color is the + ."

can you clarify what this means... how do I see if it has 5vDC to the control panel?

Old 08-12-19, 12:16 PM
UPDATE: so i was running out of ideas and went back to my original thought of the resistance, due to the length of wire being my problem. i shortened the wire to about half the length, and presto... worked like a charm. i dont know of any signal booster device to boost the amperage going thru these wires so im just going to figure out a new way to run the control panel separately from the air intake air return. thanx for the responses guys!

Old 08-12-19, 12:23 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
If some of the lines are for digital communications they may need to be treated like networking. RS-422 or some sort needs twisted pair to isolate crosstalk. Hard to know without a pinout though.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-12-19, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
I've been searching thru the LG files for a diagram or pinout and haven't located anything yet.
There is definitely data on some of those lines and the length apparently interrupted it.