Faulty GFCI???

Old 08-10-19, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Faulty GFCI???

The GFCI breaker on my hot tub trips immediately after re-setting. The same breaker installed on my shop panel with no load attached re-sets OK and the test button trips the breaker like it should. Does the fact that the breaker appears fine with no load suggest the problem is with my hot tub or is it possible that the breaker is faulty. It was subject to a sudden power outage when a transformer blew and set a pole on fire down the road a ways. Is there a proper way to test these breakers in the field? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-19, 03:31 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, field testing is accomplished by the test button, itís possible that the power problem that occurred earlier may have damaged something in the hot tub.
Geo

Old 08-10-19, 03:45 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
It suggests there is a problem with the tub.

Old 08-10-19, 04:28 PM
Thanks Geochurchi & Joed. I am out in the country so to not waste a service trip out here the hot tub guys suggested that it was probably the breaker. However if the fact that the breaker can be set with no load and the test button reacts as expected indicates the breaker is OK I will get the service guys out here. I did go ahead and order a new breaker just in case. Will use it on another project if I don't need it. Again, Thanks

Old 08-10-19, 04:47 PM
Since you have ordered the breaker anyway might as well try it before the service guys show up.
Can you disconnect the hot cable at the hot tub and try the breaker? Could be a damaged cable issue.

Old 08-11-19, 02:52 AM
Bit of a dilemma there. if I disconnect anything my warranty is void. On the other-hand the warranty is void if the problem is due to power issues.

I guess I have to wonder, if the unit failed due to power issues why was everything else in the house unaffected?

Old 08-11-19, 05:37 AM
Does the hot tub have a local disconnect? It should. Turn it off and try the breaker. There might even be breakers inside the hot tub you can turn off.

Old 08-11-19, 06:08 AM
Actually the tub has double breakers. There is the 50 amp breaker in the panel and then the GFCI breaker is located at the tub.

Old 08-11-19, 06:57 AM
If the tipping breaker is at the tub then I suspect the tub has an issue. Most likely the heater has failed.
Can you disable the heater and try the tub?

Old 08-11-19, 07:45 AM
Thanks. Tried disabling the heater but it made no difference.