wall outlet

Old 05-31-01, 11:38 AM
derryd
Visiting Guest
I have 2 wall outlets in the living room such as where lamps would be plugged in on either side of the couch. On both plug-ins the bottom holes are dead. The top ones work just fine. Would replacing the outlet repair this or is something else needed? DM

Old 05-31-01, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
You probably already know this but maybe not. It is possible for one outlet in a duplex outlet to be "live" and the other one controlled by a wall switch. If these outlets were used for table lamps, they very well may be switched outlets. Are there any switches in the room that might be connected to the lower half of your duplex outlets?

Old 05-31-01, 12:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outlets have 2 screws on each side. One on each side connects to the top outlet, one set to the bottom. There is a little brass tab connecting them together. This can be broken off if you want one powered from a different source or switched off and on with a switch. Check the ones you have and see if one or both of the tabs is broken off. If there are more than 2 wires coming into the box where they are installed, do not replace them just yet with a new outlet (new outlets "always" have the tab in place). There may be different power sources coming into the box or there may be some reason why they were broken off.

Look for a GFI outlet everywhere in the house. It may be powering the "dead" half of the outlet.

Post back with more info:
How many wires coming into the box, wire colors, etc.
Shut off the breaker powering them and see what else stops working.

Old 05-31-01, 06:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I agree with Robert. Most likely these outlets are not dead -- they're just switched off. You've probably always wondered what those switches were for.

Old 05-31-01, 10:25 PM
derryd
Visiting Guest
Yes!! I did not realize that half an outlet could be controlled by a wall switch without affecting the other plug-in. I looked for a switch after receiving your replies and found it on the opposite wall in a group of switches where it has been in the 'off' position for ages. Thank you so much for your help. All is working as it should now! I am most grateful for your replies. DerryD

Old 05-31-01, 10:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Derryd,

You are welcome. I ask so many questions on these forums that I was glad I could "give back" for a change. -- Robert

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: