Need help with AFCI install compatibility!!

Old 08-11-19, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with AFCI install compatibility!!

Hi,
I am trying to install an AFCI circuit breaker in breaker number 2. It says type QP. Home Depot stocks only one- Murray AFCI 20 amp breaker single pole. Will this fit my box and is it an appropriate replacement? I can't seem to find anything in writing. Please help. Thanks,
Steve

Name:  p1.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  148.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-11-19 at 05:23 PM. Reason: reoriented/resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-19, 04:50 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Those are Seimans breakers in that panel. Assuming it is a Seimans panel then.

Will this fit my box and is it an appropriate replacement?
Note: If the breaker you listed does fit the panel it does not mean it is rated for that particular panel.

You need to first find the model number of that panel. Once you do that then research if that particular breaker is rated for that panel. Just because a breaker may fit in a panel does not mean it is safe to use in it nor does it mean the breaker will function as designed. If you ever have a claim for your home owners policy and they list the fact that the incorrect rated breaker was used they will deny your claim. Besides that using a breaker not rated for a particular panel is just dangerous to use to start with.

Old 08-12-19, 05:13 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Old 08-12-19, 05:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The answer is a little tricky in that Siemens (Q-series breakers) and Murray (M-series breakers) are the same company. The breakers have been physically identical except for the label for several years now. However they are not officially listed as replacements for each other.

Physically it will work just fine. If you have a very picky inspector they could flag it as an incompatible breaker.

To add an additional complication Siemens recently announced their intention to end the Murray brand, but they didn't say how they intend to deal with the millions of Murray panels and breakers out in the field. I expect once they officially end Murray they will finally make an official statement that the lines are identical and Siemens and Murray can be used interchangeably.