Can i put a sub panel here?

Old 08-13-19, 05:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can i put a sub panel here?

The potential sub panel location would be here, on the white part of the wall. The white part is 26 inches wide. The siding starts at 43 inches off the ground. I would want the panel to be below the siding, so it would be fairly low to the ground. Would there be a requirement for a concrete pad? This is in NJ.
nothing above it:

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

08-13-19, 05:39 PM
Tolyn Ironhand
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
That would be OK in my area. No need for a slab. Your panel will need to be rated for outdoors, of course. If you are running circuits into the building it is not going to be very fun drilling through that wall.

Your area may have different requirements, so you may want to check with your local AHJ.

Old 08-13-19, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 40 Posts
That would be OK in my area. No need for a slab. Your panel will need to be rated for outdoors, of course. If you are running circuits into the building it is not going to be very fun drilling through that wall.

Your area may have different requirements, so you may want to check with your local AHJ.

Furd, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 08-13-19, 09:40 PM
Thanks.. yeah i was thinking about just removing a part of the block wall that would be behind the panel and studding it up with pressure treated. Iíd have to see how the rear nock-outs line up.

The main hesitation at this point is i donít know how the heck I can flash it to keep water from getting behind the panel and into the hose.

Old 08-14-19, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
In the long run it would be worth it to rent a Hilti with a core bit to bore through the wall for a couple conduits. You can seal around them with hydraulic cement or just silicone if your core is close enough diameter to the pipe.

Old 08-14-19, 05:25 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Hi, why do you want the Sub panel mounted outside, how are you planning on feeding it?
Just curious
Go

Old 08-14-19, 06:30 AM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Isn't there a code that says the minimum height of the panel can be is 4 feet.

Old 08-14-19, 06:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
In the US there is not, but it should be installed above the normal snow line if you're in a northern climate. In a garage the minimum height is 24"

Old 08-14-19, 09:19 AM
Good info about the snow line 24Ē. Now Iím thinking it would be better if I just moved the panel up further so that the top of the panel is where the siding is now. That would have a number of benefits:
  • Would gives more height above the ground.
  • Can use proper flashing behind the siding and J channel.
  • Can bore through the wooden band board instead of CMU wall
I might look a little funky with the siding interrupted, but this is a side of the house nobody sees.

Ok to answer the question about why: I donít really want to put an exterior panel. Itís not my first choice, the main loadcenter is at the front corner of the basement closest to the street (obviously) and unfortunately almost no power requirements on the front of the house near that loadcenter.

All on the back side of the house:
  • 2 kitchens (itís a mother/daughter)
  • Laundry (elec dryer)
  • 3 bathrooms
  • 2 bedrooms
  • Mechanical room
So needless to say I have A LOT of wires running from the loadcenter to the back of the house. They all run through 1 joist bay. Iíve spread them out in the joist bay as much as I could but I am still worrying about inductive heating issues. The inspector saw it and was fine, but this is my house, my family.

Basically there are no good places to put the subpanel in the basement because only the front half of the basement is full height. The back half of the basement (where all the loads are) is a 5 ft tall conditioned crawl space. Need 6-1/2 ft for a panel.

It would be fed with either THHN-THWN2 in conduit or SER, I havenít decided. That would be the only thing run in the joist bay, and the zillion little cables would come out.

Last edited by electric_dummy; 08-14-19 at 10:47 AM.