Outlets not working

Old 08-13-19, 06:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outlets not working

Nees some help.. I'm not an electrician but know a little bit. So I was putting a cutout in a kitchen wall. The wall had a few wires that I had to reroute. The original wires was 4 wire (red,black,white,bare). Had some 3 wire(black,white,bare) left over from when my basement got wired. Was told that I could just eliminate the red wire( cap off). Finished the cutout up. Now the 2 outlets on a connecting wall only have power to bottom plug in. Yes they're on the same circuit. Is there a way to fix without reopening the wall??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-19, 08:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Those outlets used to be switched. On each receptacle, you'll need to add a short jumper between the two hots (brass) screws. Remove the red wire, cap it, and use only the black wire. It may actually be easier to just replace the receptacle with a new one and use just the black wire (and white/ground of course).

Old 08-13-19, 08:15 PM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Where are you located? Canada?
Those receptacles were split wired. One breaker feeds the top and another one feeds the bottom. The red feeds one and the black feed the other. Split wired receptacle were standard code install for kitchens in Canada. No way to fix it properly without running the three wire cable with the red.