Meter box Riser & Weather head

Old 08-15-19, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Meter box Riser & Weather head

Good morning to all,

I've been remodeling houses for my wife and I for going on 12 years now. We have a cabin that we're remodeling and I have a question about the meter box riser and weather head for the main supply to the cabin.

I can't recall exactly where, but I believe there is something in the national code regarding the fact that the main supply to the riser cannot cross the roof of any building or be within a certain number of feet of any other unrelated building roof as it proceeds to the weather head and riser. The present riser is presently just a flexible covering that is tethered to a gable edge and then proceeds to the pole.

Where the present supply connection exists, we wish to extend the gable roof 9 feet outward so that it provides a porch over an existing deck, which would obviously leave the riser to cross the extended new gable metal roof as it proceeds to the pole. We are also installing a garage in front of the gable roof extension and I want the supply to be some distance from its roof as well.

My thought was to come out of the meter box with 2" IMC metal conduit that would leave less than 40% fill of the supply lines and run it inside the new closed in gable roof porch over near the new gable edge and then travel forward to pass the new garage roof before exiting the gable and extend it upward 2 feet, capping it with the weather head with 18" free supply line for the reconnect which would place it properly on the edge of the cabin gable roof and place it far ahead of the garage and away from ability to reach it form the new garage roof. It also reduces the distance to the utility pole by nearly 20 feet, which I favor as well since it presently crosses the open porch overhead to reach the flexible riser.

My question is with respect to code, is can the supply be run through a 2" IMC metal conduit through a closed gable roof as much as 25' feet in length inside the concealed roof from the meter box to near the front of the house before exiting at the gable edge and extended upward on a riser to the weather head? It seems a reasonable solution since the meter box and electrical panel opposite it at the house need to remain where they are now. Obviously, I have to request the electrical company first come disconnect the present supply completely and coil it at the pole until I have the new riser in place and firmly attached new supply line tether lag for them to reconnect. I've have prior experience installing 4 new meter box panels and the supply lug connections to the meter box itself, as well as ground the new metal supply pipe metal cap to the meter box since the original is only a flexible covering.

Is there any national code that limits the length of the supply line from the meter box to the riser and can the 2" IMC be concealed in the new closed in gable porch roof in the manner described?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
My question is with respect to code, is can the supply be run through a 2" IMC metal conduit through a closed gable roof as much as 25' feet in length inside the concealed roof
No. The code language for unfused service conductors that a run through a building must be "as short as practical". Usually I've seen this to mean a few feet at most. The overall length is not limited, but the length through the building is. It should be allowed if your conduit is able to follow the surface of the building instead of enclosed.

Old 08-15-19, 01:01 PM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Hi, if you can relocate the meter to the garage and put fused disconnect there then you can run the conduit back on your intended course.
Geo

Old 08-18-19, 06:43 AM
thanks for the reply. It sounds as though that's the best and least expensive route to take. It wouldn't necessarily bother me that the IMC has to travel much of the distance outside rather than inside. I'll simply paint the IMC the same color as the trim. It should be fine.

Old 08-18-19, 07:01 AM
Well, to relocate the meter wouldn't I have to go underground the point of the breaker panel at least 36" below the surface over to the garage and back up to the garage to the meter relocation? I have a good deal of issues with having to temporarily remove 8ft of deck to take the service downward and underground from the breaker box. There was a concrete porch there before I covered it with a wood deck that would have to be cut through. The sprinkler and phone/Internet cable also travels through that side between the cabin and new garage, as well as the cabin's water main coming on an angle somewhere through to that side to the cabin itself.

I'm looking at it from that perspective because to my understanding, you can't run the service cable overhead from the meter and across to the cabin roof since the garage would be detached, correct? It would be great for the meter to be on the garage but if I'm right about the service needing to be underground between meter and breaker panel, then it seems like too many obstructions in the ground there to make it practical.

I think what was suggested regarding the IMC following the trim line on the exterior might have to be my next best option unless I'm wrong about the service location between the garage meter and breaker panel option.

Thanks for the reply

Old 08-18-19, 07:08 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
Can you post some pics of your situation? Maybe that would help us figure out something different.
Geo

Old 08-18-19, 07:11 AM
Just one other quick question. I noted the term "unfused service conductors."

I'm assuming that if I have a fused disconnect on the service connectors after the riser but prior to entering the enclosed area of the roof over to the breaker panel, then it would be allowable under my original plan, or no?

Old 08-18-19, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Yes..... that is correct and what Geo posted in post #3.

The fused disconnect needs to be "as close as possible" or typically within 5' of the meter.
Any wiring from the meter in...... before the main breaker...... is unfused.

Old 08-20-19, 07:00 AM
Meter Box Riser & Weather head

Here is a diagram of the existing supply setup and the proposed setup. I have also decided that if it's allowable by code, I can run the 2" IMC out of the meter and clamp it at the top exterior portion of the support beam for the extended roof until it reaches the riser. Since it would be exterior, would it be allowed in that arrangement as shown in the diagram? As stated, putting the meter on the garage would be great but I think because the garage is detached it means that I have to go underground from that point to the house breaker box, an expensive and very labor intensive proposition.

Thanks to everyone for staying with me on finding a solution that meets code. I'm hoping that this revision to attaching the IMC to the exterior 2x10 Beam on the path shown in the diagram with work.

Attached Images