Help with doorbell chime install

Old 08-15-19, 12:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with doorbell chime install

I am installing a new chime. I found the transformer was bad and the chime was broken. Replaced the transformer and now I have power coming to the push button but when I hook up the wires to the chime it constantly has power to it. It actually rings with out pushing the button. I have one white wire with blue, and one solid blue wire coming off the transformer, but out of the wall I have two white and blue wires connected together and two solid blue wires connected to together. I'm assuming somewhere in the walls they tied the wires together for the back door and the front door. Any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 01:36 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Generally these chimes have the power going to the chime in the back of the chime, the one line gets spiced off through the door bed and back to the other terminal of the chime.
Hopefully that makes sense. I am not able to draw the picture at the moment, which would be the easiest.

Old 08-15-19, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 216 Votes on 205 Posts
It sounds like they used UTP wire (Cat5) which is 8 conductors of very thin wire in one jacket.
One pair in that cable would be blue and blue/white. Since you have two cables coming out of the wall..... one goes to the transformer and one goes to the button. This would be a single button setup.

That means..... at the chime..... connect the blue from one cable to the blue white of the other cable. Put a wire nut on those two wires. The remaining blue can go on transformer and the blue/white can go on front. It doesn't make a difference which cable is the button or the transformer. Try that.

Name:  chime.png
Views: 13
Size:  3.4 KB

Old 08-16-19, 06:19 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Thank you PJmax for putting my thoughts into proper, understandable English.