Differences in Square D AFCI Breakers

Old 08-15-19, 05:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Differences in Square D AFCI Breakers

I am wiring an addition and found out I needed more arc fault breakers. I bought more and brought them home only to discover they aren't the same as the ones I had already installed. They are both Square D. The original breakers are QO115AFI and the new ones are QO115CAFI. I tried to find out the difference between them online with no luck. Anybody know the difference and if I either are adequate for my addition. The circuits in the addition are for lights and receptacles in bedrooms and a living room as well as a couple outside receptacles. I live in British Columbia, Canada.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-19, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 29 Posts
The C in QO115CAFI stands for Combination and are the newest version of Arc Fault Breakers. The QO115AFI are standard Arc Fault breakers. In the US Combination arc fault devices are required which detect series and parallel faults.

We have some Canada users here and they can chime in on Canada requirements.

frock voted this post useful.
Old 08-16-19, 06:11 PM
Received 17 Votes on 12 Posts
The original breakers are QO115AFI
Your original arc fault breakers protected against parallel arcing faults and were the first generation, developed 20 years ago, they were also more susceptible to nuisance trips from appliances such as vacuum cleaners. The combination type were the next generation and more refined with added series arcing fault protection and were more resistant to nuisance trips.

frock voted this post useful.