Neutral required for new dedicated 240volt circuit?

Old 08-17-19, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Neutral required for new dedicated 240volt circuit?

In my my new shop-space adding tablesaw, jointer and drill press and I will add circuits to run each.of these convertible motors using 240V. They will be all 240 only devices and each has a dedicated run.

Do the runs require a neutral due to any code consideration, or as a matter of practicality?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-19, 02:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 16 Votes on 13 Posts
Straight 240v equipment does not need a neutral. Just 2 hots and a ground.

Rodango voted this post useful.
Old 08-19-19, 06:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
@pcboss, thanks for your quick answer. Are you kup’ on recent code requirements - I guess that would be, for the US, 2014 NEC? I’m in the design stage. The county I live in is the AHJ. Their website is large and confusingly indirect. Equally, it’s very hard to get an informed person on the phone, ha. That’s why I’m looking for a cite that clarifies the issue (Dekalb county has adopted the code with most revisions, in whole, except for some specific changes. These are typically narrowing or selection where a choice might be made. I’m a bit crosseyed from looking through all of it. So a cite would really help especially if this exact subject is dealt with by code.

Old 08-19-19, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
220v with or without a neutral.

If the equipment is a motor load only your good to go without a neutral. IF there are any controls, leds, work lights your going to need a neutral to be up to code.

Old 08-19-19, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 270 Votes on 252 Posts
Your are running cable for a specific purpose....... 240v equipment.
There is no code requirement that you need to run a neutral to the location just so it's there if needed.

Old 08-19-19, 04:40 PM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
Dekalb county has adopted the code with most revisions, in whole, except for some specific changes.

I believe I would call the county building office and ask what version of the NEC they have adopted (current version is 2017) and also ask for a list of addendums enacted by ordinance. If by ordinance they had added to or removed portions of the code they likely have a list to be handed out.