Wiring for Range Hood - Not Sure Where to Place NM Cable

Old 08-18-19, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring for Range Hood - Not Sure Where to Place NM Cable

I am remodeling my kitchen, and I am not sure where to locate the NM cable for the range hood. My understanding is that they usually have their own junction box, so I just hang the wire. I don't know whether it should drop from the ceiling, or if it should come out of the back wall. This is probably a dumb question, but this will be my first time installing one.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-19, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I would recommend putting it in the upper cabinet above the hood and installing a receptacle there. Then, put a cord on the hood. It makes for an easier install and if you ever want to change the hood, or go to an OTR microwave it is an easy swap.

Also on the OTR microwave option, if you can you may want to make the range hood receptacle a dedicated circuit.

Old 08-18-19, 11:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 29 Posts
A cord and plug connected range hood requires a dedicated circuit.

Old 08-18-19, 12:19 PM
Received 18 Votes on 17 Posts
If you plan on hard wiring the range hood, it is the best to measure and mark location and height of the cabinet, then find specification for the hood, so that you know the location of the knockout for the wiring.
Leave about 12" or more cable in case you need to move the wiring. You should be able to pull the wiring within few inches.

If you are unsure of the height, pull the cable to the height you know will be covered by the cabinet for sure and leave extra length of cable. That way, you can pull the cable down as needed.

If you are installing a stand alone hood (not mounted to the cabinet), then you really have to double check with the kitchen layout and hood specification. You don't want the cable right in the center as it will be covered by duct work. Many stand alone hood had cord instead of hard wiring. So, you may need to install a receptacle.