ceiling fan

Old 05-31-01, 02:35 PM
banditowner
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

after installing a ceiling fan which color wires do you connect together for the lightkit to the fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-01, 04:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On most modern fans, the blue wire is the power supply for the light kit. In most typical installations your simply hook the blue and black wires from the fan together with the supply line from the switch. White is always to white (unless it's a switch leg).

Old 06-03-01, 10:47 AM
Visiting Guest
wiring has red wire in ceiling

Originally posted by MrRonFL
On most modern fans, the blue wire is the power supply for the light kit. In most typical installations your simply hook the blue and black wires from the fan together with the supply line from the switch. White is always to white (unless it's a switch leg).

Hi, my fixture has the blue wire. but the wiring in the ceiling has a red wire that is not mentioned in the installation manual. How do I know which wire is to be attached to the red wire? Is it the blue wire to the red wire?

Old 06-03-01, 12:52 PM
Jim, there is sure a lot of information you've left out. Here are two key questions. I'll make a guess at the answer to each. My answer will only be correct if both of my guesses are correct. If either of my guesses are wrong, post back with more information.

(1) How many wires and what colors are coming from your ceiling? My guess: one black, one white, one red, maybe one bare -- no more.
(2) Do you have one or two wall switches for controlling this fan? My guess: two, one for the fan and one for the light.

In this case, merely connect the blue wire from the fan to the red wire from the ceiling.