Outdoor GFCI Outlet/Indoor Light switch + Evil Red Wire

Old 08-19-19, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor GFCI Outlet/Indoor Light switch + Evil Red Wire

Hi all,

I've been googling a ton and come up with a lot of info but nothing quite definitive.

I recently purchased a home that has a cable with black/white/ground capped off in a water proof fixture (nothing connected). I was hoping to wire a GFCI receptacle to it, but upon testing i found the wires were dead.

I traced them to a lightswitch indoors, which appears to have been abandoned (switch doesn't change anything and cables behind have been cut so the switch fell out when unscrewed the plate and front facing screws on the switch). It looks like the the outdoor wires that I presume were previously a light fixture ran to the switch. There is also a 3 wire cable coming into the box that has red/black/white/ground.

My assumption is that the light was tripping the breaker which took the indoor lights out with it and was thus abandoned and cut. Is there a way i can wire this up using existing cable from the breaker or do I need to pull new cable from the breaker? I can provide pictures later if that will help.

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-19, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

So you have a two wire cable you think went to the outside light and you have a three wire cable that you think is power. The first thing you need to do is to use a meter to see if you have 120vAC between white and red or white and black of the three wire cable.

Old 08-19-19, 03:01 PM
Received 136 Votes on 122 Posts
It is possible there were two switches that controlled the fixture. There could be another switch at the other end of that three wire cable.

Old 08-19-19, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are two light switches in another room that are not getting any power. I’ll trace the cable tomorrow night to see if it goes to those. I didn’t think it was related because those are both 3 way switches while the light switch I’m talking about has an on/off marker. Thanks for responding!

Old 08-19-19, 10:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 517 Votes on 487 Posts
They may have just thrown that regular switch in to fill the hole.