3/4 year old solar panels...

Old 08-21-19, 08:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
3/4 year old solar panels...

Hi,

We have a 10 panel solar system. I think it is running great, but I was out there this morning washing them down and noticed that 1 panel has a 'square (about 5" X 5") which has browned (rusted ?). I know when the panels were installed we were warned that in order for the system to run correctly all of the panels needed to receive sun at the same time. Each panel has 6 of these squares across and perhaps 10 or 12 down. If one of the panels has a bad region (square) does that mean that the panel is shot (after 3 or 4 years) ? One other tidbit. As I wet/brushed (very soft brush) and rinsed each panel the sun dried that small square very very fast (I noticed it).

It is 10:30 AM here now. When the system is really cranking our inverter reads something like 2200. This morning it is reading around 1200. I'll check it again later.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 08:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
2200 watts / 10 panels = 220 watts per panel is within the normal range for most solar systems. If it is degraded it isn't too bad.

Some kinds of panels can survive a single cell failure and some cannot. It depends on how it was manufactured. Do you have any information on the maker?

Old 08-21-19, 10:40 AM
So it is now 12:30 - the sky is very clear, all the panels are shadow-less, temp is maybe 75-80. The current reading is 1760 on the inverter. (I have noticed that even on a partly cloudy day - when it is hot we produce a lot of energy. Today is not a hot day).

Our panels were manufactured in Mexico (Solartec). 250W monocristaline. We have a 10 year warranty on the panels against defects.

We have a 5 year warranty on our Fronius inverter.

We have a 25 year guarantee that our system will produce at least 80% of capacity.

My wife has a low priority call into the guy who sold/installed the system.

Old 08-21-19, 12:44 PM
At 2:30PM the reading is 1825. I think we are now past 'peak' sun. But - the sun's arc is also directly overhead this time of year and the panels are pointing somewhat towards the south.

We spoke with the guy earlier. Really nice guy. He will stop by tomorrow evening.