Taking apart a USB wall plug to power microusb in panel

Old 08-21-19, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taking apart a USB wall plug to power microusb in panel

So I want to put a raspberry pi zero in an outdoor weatherproof box w/ DIN rail I have. The raspberry pi is powered via a micro USB port the problem is that none of the chargers I have will fit into a rail mounted outlet and let the outer door close plus I want the raspberry pi behind the finger safe cover (not sure if this is the right term, it's a piece of metal that covers the breakers' terminals while letting the switch part through) if possible. I have a decade worth of apple usb chargers that I've accumulated, is there anyway I can take them apart and solder leads to them to wires that I'd connect to a circuit breaker. Or does anyone have a better idea? I have 220VAC in the box, I want 5VDC.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-19, 04:26 PM
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
You could solder the wire, but you have to make sure to separate line voltage and low voltage area.
Do you have to mount the outlet on DIN rail? Maybe you can install a surface mount outlet to make more room?

Old 08-21-19, 06:18 PM
I have room on the rail to mount an outlet but not enough room to plug in a usb wall adapter to that outlet and still let the door close. The box has a rail and a separator which keeps you from touching any line voltage stuff once the cover is opened. The raspberry doesn't actually need to be accessible.

Old 08-21-19, 06:37 PM
Heres a pic:

ideally Id like to fit the whole kit and caboodle behind the cover where those two buttons are.

Old 08-21-19, 06:43 PM
Thinking out loud here, might the best option be to use the female end of an extension cord plug and cut it short and wire that into the breaker and then plug an iPhone charger into that?

Old 08-21-19, 06:58 PM
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
https://yadom.eu/kit-alimentation-5v...usb-coude.html

It appears there are din rain mountable USB power supply available.

Esand1 voted this post useful.