GFCI 15A or 20A?

Old 08-21-19, 04:07 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
GFCI 15A or 20A?

Good day to all!
I am new to this forum so please bear with me.

We just bought a house which was built in 1961 (62). The electrical wiring are old which uses the two prong receptacle outlet. I wanted to replace them with GFCI and 3 prong 15A outlet (for the loads). I opened the main fuse box and the wire used in the circuit is labeled ANACONDA 12-2-WG. The ground wire is tiny and I don't know what gauge it is. The ground wire was not connected in the fuse box. Can I utilize that ground wire for the outlet? What GFCI Amp should I get? Can I use the tiny ground wire to the GFCI?

There's a ground rod near the power meter and it is connected to the fuse box as determined using continuity test.

Old 08-21-19, 04:30 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
If your ground wire is spliced/connected all the way, yes you can use that for nrew outlet. But, make sure it is actually grounded at the fuse/breaker panel.

If your circuit is on 20A fuse or breaker, you can use either one. 15A GFCI receptacles have 20A feed through.
If your circuit is on 15A, then you have to use 15A.
The only real difference is 15A receptacle won't let you plug 20A plug. Other than that, they are the same.

Since you have 12-2, you can put it on 20A (assuming it is 12-2 all the way) if it is not already on 20A.

Old 08-21-19, 05:12 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
If you actually have a ground(even smaller gauge) you don't need the GFCI. You can install regular three prong receptacles.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: