Wire size for sub panel

Old 08-22-19, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wire size for sub panel

Hey Folks, I know this sort of question has been asked many times and I apologize for that but Iíve scoured the internet looking for an answer and the results are all over the place.

i just built a pole barn 300í away from the location of my 200amp service in the home. I want to have a 100amp sub panel in the barn. I already had a guy use a boring machine to run a water line and a continuous 2Ē conduit 6 feet underground between the 2 panels.

This is just a hobby shop for myself. Half of it will be for wood working, I canít imagine more than a dust collector, table saw, and lights running at the same time. All of my equipment is 240v single phase or less. Itís quite possible I would run a small welder out there at some point.

Im wanting to use aluminum wire for the service run to save money. Can any of you experts guide me to the correct size wire? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-19, 06:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
The distance will require upsizing the wire to compensate for voltage drop. I'd probably target 60A -- you can still use a 100A panel in the barn, but feed from a 60A breaker in the main. At that ampacity and distance use #1/0 or #2/0 aluminum XHHW for the hots and neutral, and #4 aluminum for the ground.

At 300' distance it may be cheaper to by a 1000' spool and cut it yourself instead of three times the per foot price. Check with your supplier.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 08-22-19, 06:24 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I believe Ben pretty much covered this with sound information. The only thing I would suggest is that you confirm with the local inspector. Some rules, differ from area to area.

Old 08-22-19, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it better to get a 1/0 or 2/0 triplex along with a ground or get individual conductors to run through the conduit?

Old 08-22-19, 06:48 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Is it better to get a 1/0 or 2/0 triplex along with a ground or get individual conductors to run through the conduit?
In your original post, you mentiioned the conduit. If its a proper conduit and meets local code, running separate wires as Ben mentioned could save you a few $$. The heavy gauge wire is painfully expensive, so any where you can save.

Old 08-22-19, 07:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Individual conductors will be better on such a long pull. Also most triplex does not carry an indoor fire rating, whereas xhhw does so that's one less thing to upset the inspector.

Old 08-22-19, 07:34 AM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
As suggested stick with XHHW-2. URD (Triplex,Quadplex) is usually a distribution cable and is rated for outside use only. Mobile Home Feeder (MHF) is rated for inside use but is a direct bury cable, you could check the cost of that. It comes in set sizes and 2/0-2/0-2/0-1 is one of the sizes.