electrical power regulation?

Old 08-23-19, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
electrical power regulation?

I need help from you electrical geneouses... lol.

I have a hot plate like this that I need to be able to regulate to within about 5 degrees plus or minus:

If the image doesn't show this is the webpage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DERR

I was thinking about getting that hot plate and then including a power regulator on it like the one below:

This is the website of that item: https://www.amazon.com/Growsun-Contr...63&s=hi&sr=1-4

I will be using a mercury thermometer in water to get within the 5 degrees. I would like the temperature to be about 120 degrees.

Will this work? I am basically looking for a hot plate that has a surface area of at least 10.5" by 8" and can be within 5 degrees to 120 degrees throughout its surface.

-Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-19, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 382 Votes on 359 Posts
A variable control will adjust for the amount of heat you get.... it will do nothing to hold the surface temperature constant. I'm not quite sure what you are doing there but you need a thermostatically controlled relay that will cycle the hot plate on and off to maintain a set temperature. I left you an ebay search link. There are different versions of the same unit there.

You'd plug your hot plate into the controller. A sensor comes with the controller. You need a sensor that will work for your application. In other words..... if you are using a liquid.... use an immersion type sensor. The sensor needs to be able to monitor the required surface.

Temp controllers on ebay

Old 08-24-19, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pjmax, that's the genius answer I was looking for. I was actually planning on manually adjusting the knob to the correct output of heat by observing the temperature of the thermometer immersed in water but your idea of using a sensor with a built in thermometer sounds better; the price isn't bad.