Hammering NM Staples in Tight Space

Old 08-24-19, 09:08 AM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hammering NM Staples in Tight Space

I have a couple spots where there are joists that are much closer than 16” on center. I was trying to nail a staple, and I ended up hitting the NM cable. I resorted to using NM plastic staples for a few wires, even though I feel like they are amateurish. I have one spot where there are 2 cables that need to secured, so I don’t think the plastic ones will work. Is there a good way to bang in metal staples when space is tight?

Old 08-24-19, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You don't have to use staples. The wire needs to be fastened. Many times I'll use clips with screws and tie the wire to the clip. There is also a newer product that is easy to install in that circumstance. One name is Stak-it. The link below is the same product. The clip sits on the side of the stud. The fastener goes in on an angle to hold the clip. Good for several wires.

Stak-it

Old 08-24-19, 10:19 AM
T
Received 74 Upvotes on 69 Posts
If you must, use a heavy hammer sideways. Has worked for me in close clearance apps.

Old 08-24-19, 03:17 PM
L
Received 201 Upvotes on 172 Posts
You can use a high quality lineman's pliers as a hammer. Cheap ones do work, but more likely to damage the pliers.

If the space is not even enough for that, put side of the pliers against staple and hit remaining side with a hammer.

Staple with 2 nails on plastic clip will drive easier than regular metal wire staple.

Old 08-25-19, 06:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
In my area, we only use plastic staples. They hold just a good as metal ones and are code approved. I personally like them better the metal ones. You can extend the nails of the staple to go around the cable to ensure you do not hit the cable.

Another handy trick is to use a hammerhead tool or palm nailer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: