Is it OK to mount a mud ring inside out?

Old 08-27-19, 07:09 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is it OK to mount a mud ring inside out?

Long story short, I have a 4-11/16" metal box connected to a 1" EMT conduit coming up from the concrete slab, such that the box is recessed about 1.5" from the finished wall for the kitchen range.

For many years I never pull out the range. But when I did I noticed the recessed box - and the big receptacle was mounted recessed as well, with the plug having to reach into the wall, and the wall cavity basically exposed.

I went to a local electrical supply house wanted to get a 4-11/16" conversion plate that takes it to 4" so I can mount a standard 4" square extension ring. They didn't have one. They do have a 4-11/16" extension ring that's 1.5" deep so I took that. That would take it all the way to the finished wall, or actually protrude it by a little like 1/8". I need a flat 4-11/16" mud ring for two devices. No flat, but they have a raised 5/8". So I took that too but it's really sticking out of the wall too far.

So, can I flip this mud ring inside out to recess the raised portion into the extension ring and just use longer screws to mount the range receptacle? Any reason this may be a bad bad idea?

Old 08-27-19, 04:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
I don't see any issue using the mud ring in reverse.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: