Smart Light Switch Wiring Question (Ground)

Old 09-01-19, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smart Light Switch Wiring Question (Ground)

Hello-
I am interested in buying some modern-looking WiFi-capable smart switches for a room in my pole barn. It will be all-new wiring, all-new lights and everything. I have been looking at the glass-front LED-lit triple-switches on Amazon and eBay, etc., and I am confused that many of these switches dont have a ground terminal or any ground connection on the switch itself. These switches have a full glass front, so there is nothing conductive exposed to the outside. But is it even allowable in the Electrical Code to have a not-grounded switch?? Wouldnt this just be rejected by an electrical inspector?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-19, 04:08 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Light switches don't have ground connection. You splice the ground wires at each switch location and then terminate the ground at the light fixture ground connection, which in turn completes the loop at the circuit breaker box.

Supersonic7 voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-19, 09:11 AM
Thanks Norm!

Based on your input, I did some digging and found NEC 404.9(B) includes an exception for switching devices with full non-conductive plates. So I think I can use these new types of switches.

Thanks for your advice! I am going to try to attach a picture of the wiring diagram for the device I am considering.

Attached Images  
Old 09-02-19, 10:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Agreed with the others, since there's nothing metallic on the exterior of the switch, no ground needed.

Two things concern me with this switch:
1) That's a lot of wires in one box. You'll have 4 sets of 14/2 cable coming into a single gang box, plus the switch itself.
2) The switch does not seem to be UL/CSA listed. There's a lot of issues these days with overseas-manufactured electrical equipment that isn't built to the same specifications as equipment should be. It doesn't mean it's bad... but it could be - and no one is checking.

But overall, it's a switch, and if it does what you need it to do, it looks like it will work.

Old 09-02-19, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
The switch does not seem to be UL/CSA listed.
That is correct and if it were UL listed it would have a ground wire on it.

Old 09-02-19, 06:57 PM
In the written description it actually says "UL Certified", and in the title it says "US", so thats why I was looking at this one. BUT in the pictures I dont see any UL Listed logo.... just the Euro ones.

I have yet to find one that is clearly UL Listed (i.e., you can see the logo for that) AND has the cool glass front with three LED touch switches in it. Still looking.

Thanks!

Old 09-03-19, 06:02 AM
I found one on Amazon that has a ground terminal, but does not appear to be UL Listed. I asked them if it was, and their reply was No, but that it is ETL Listed. So not the gold standard but maybe the silver standard?

Old 09-03-19, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
My understanding is that ETL is very similar to UL in their review and certification process. If it's ETL listed, I'm sure it's safe to use.

Supersonic7 voted this post useful.