Splitting circuit using wirenuts inside panel

Old 09-06-19, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting circuit using wirenuts inside panel

Hello -

I'm wiring a backyard circuit. I plan to add several fence-mounted outlet boxes around the yard.

The panel that will provide the power already exists and is used to power our swimming pool equipment. This panel is located in the center of the planned circuit, so I need the circuit to split in two directions from the panel. The easiest way to do this would be to find a GFCI circuit breaker that allowed 2 hot wires to be attached, but I don't think that exists since it would also require the 2 neutral wires to be connected.

Is there ever an issue with doing wire nut connections within the panel cabinet? It seems like Article 312 allows it as long as the cabinet isn't crazy full. I would run a pigtail from the GFCI breaker's hot and neutral connections, and use 2 wire nuts to supply power in 2 different directions, connecting the two grounding conductors (one for each direction the circuit goes) to the grounding bar in the panel.

Any suggestions on better ways to deal with this are welcome too!

Thanks, Eric

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-06-19, 04:07 PM
PJmax
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
I would run a pigtail from the GFCI breaker's hot and neutral connections, and use 2 wire nuts to supply power in 2 different directions
That is an acceptable connection method.

Old 09-06-19, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
I would run a pigtail from the GFCI breaker's hot and neutral connections, and use 2 wire nuts to supply power in 2 different directions
That is an acceptable connection method.

nobody291, Zorfdt voted this post useful.