220 Install code question

Old 09-10-19, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 Install code question

Hello,

I live in Missouri and I want to install a 220v line for a hot tub. I have done this for a tanning bed in the past and it was successful. My question is more code related. When i did this with the tanning bed I did the following:

1. added a breaker to the breaker box.
2. ran the electrical line out the top of the breaker box.
3. Ran the line along the top of the wall in a garage to the location of the plug.

I would like to the same with the hot tub electrical line. The question is if I run the line in conduit is this up to code. AM I allowed to run the line on the outside of the wall or does it need to go outside and be buried or in the wall? Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

I added picture of what i have but would like to make the corrections to bring it up to code.

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-19, 12:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 376 Votes on 353 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We've seen NM wiring run thru the garage before but technically and by code it's not correct. The NM needs to be 100% protected and it's not where it comes down the wall.

You can run your tub wiring in conduit. It can be inside the garage or outside the house.
Keep this in mind..... you need to run four wires and the ground wire outside needs to be insulated. That means you could not run four wire cable all the way to the tub.

You could run four wire cable to a junction box and then convert to conduit outside with four separate wires and the ground wire insulated.

Old 09-10-19, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 26 Posts
NM cannot be run where subject to physical damage without protection. The issue is that is very subjective and some would allow that while others would not.

Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 09-11-19, 07:03 AM
Received 21 Votes on 21 Posts
You can get Wiremold (tm) coverings or similar to protect otherwise exposed Romex or THHN wiring strung outside the wall.

Old 09-11-19, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Outside the wall, use conduit. Inside the wall, use cable.

Old 09-12-19, 09:24 AM
Received 26 Votes on 20 Posts
The question is if I run the line in conduit is this up to code. AM I allowed to run the line on the outside of the wall or does it need to go outside and be buried or in the wall?

Assuming the hot tub will be outside, I would also recommend using conduit outside. Whether it is exposed or buried is up to you and your aesthetic requirements. Note that you cannot use NM-B cable (aka Romex) like the orange cable you previously used. I would use THWN conductors pulled into the conduit to a spa panel with the GFCI breaker that is required for the hot tub. Most hot tubs require a 50 amp circuit and some require a 60 amp circuit; both 50 and 60 amp spa panels are readily available at the box stores.