Proper way to wire double receptacle in middle of a run

Old 09-10-19, 06:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Proper way to wire double receptacle in middle of a run

What is considered the proper way to wire a double receptacle (Two receptacles in a double gang box) that's in the middle of a run?

Do you connect the black wire "coming in" to two pigtails going to the respective brass screws on each receptacle & the black wire continuing out further down the run? Basically four wires tied together. Same for neutral/white wire except connecting to silver screws

or

Do you connect the black wire coming in directly to the brass screw of first receptacle then connect another black wire on the second brass screw on that same receptacle which you then connect to a brass screw of the second receptacle. You then connect another black wire form the second receptacle to "outgoing" black wire that continues down the run - basically more of a "daisy chain" method. Same would apply to white wires via silver screws

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-19, 07:13 PM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
Either way is acceptable.

Old 09-11-19, 05:22 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
I'm not an electrician, but I question Joed's reply. It's my understanding that pig tails are the proper method. Then if one receptacle or switch becomes inoperative the rest will continue to work. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What if some type of critical appliance is connected down line and one of the receptacles becomes inoperative? If daisy chained then you loose power on all remaining units. The appliance could be something like a refrigerator, an alarm, etc... or possibly some type of medical appliance.

Old 09-11-19, 06:08 AM
Received 67 Votes on 62 Posts
It's my understanding that pig tails are the proper method.
Pigtails are only 'required' for the neutrals of a multi wire circuit.

Old 09-11-19, 10:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
If the incoming and continuing hot wires happen to be connected directly to one another with a pigtail going to the receptacle then the neutral must be similarly pigtailed.

Old 09-11-19, 10:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I'd agree that either method is acceptable and widely used. It's incredibly rare for a receptacle to go bad in a way that disconnects the 'passthrough' capability. And even if it does, it's not a safety issue, only a repair issue.

The two ways I wouldn't do it are:
* By using the push-in connectors on the back of cheap receptacles
* By trying to connect 3 wires to two screws on a receptacle (code violation)

Old 09-11-19, 11:09 AM
Received 52 Votes on 50 Posts
Thanks guys for the clarification.

Old 09-11-19, 02:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 12 Posts
If the incoming and continuing hot wires happen to be connected directly to one another with a pigtail going to the receptacle then the neutral must be similarly pigtailed
No code requirement for this.

Old 09-11-19, 03:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 39 Posts
Do you connect the black wire coming in directly to the brass screw of first receptacle then connect another black wire on the second brass screw on that same receptacle which you then connect to a brass screw of the second receptacle.
Either way will work. However, I do not like to rely on the device for my connection so I always pigtail.

Norm201 voted this post useful.