ceiling in kitchen

Old 06-01-01, 01:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Our home is 30 years old and has a large fluorescent light and drop ceiling in the kitchen and one bath. We would like to update this by raising the ceiling and removing the light. We plan to have one light fixture in the middle and can lights on the perimeter in the kitchen. I've looked everywhere for info and cannot find any. Any suggestions on how-to or reference material would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm hoping to get this info soon because my husband is in a honey-do mode and, trust me, they don't last very long!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-01, 05:30 PM
Don't know where all you've looked so far, but your local home improvement center, and your local library, have lots of books on home wiring. Many of these books show how to install new lighting fixtures, including can lights. These books don't have much else to talk about except installing new outlets, switches, and lights.

Post back if you've already tried this and it didn't work.

Old 06-01-01, 09:58 PM
Visiting Guest
ceiling in kitchen--Thanks John Nelson

You're right. I have found much info on wiring but it's the raising of the drop ceiling that makes me nervous. The kitchen ceiling is, atleast, 6" lower than the rest of the rest of the house and they are only 7'3". Feels extremely cavish. We definately need to look into the eletrical part much more before we get started, but, it's the info on the ceiling that's been more difficult to find. Our town is not very big, so, I'll try a bigger town with a bigger library. Thanks for your help!