grounding

Old 09-11-19, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
grounding

another ground question....
If your house has a ground rod and you have another 8 ft rod 40 ft away straight for a solar system..
would you connect them???
or would you just use the house ground and skip the other one??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-19, 07:30 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
supplemental grounding

I do not understand the 40 feet away STRAIGHT for a solar system.

The grounded conductor is established at the meter location, also known as the neutral. ANY ground attached to the electrical service from ANY source is a supplemental ground. It is ok under some strict rules. Distance is not a factor. The supplemental ground point must be connected with the same size wire as the electrical service is grounded. IE 200 amp panel #4.
OR you remove the added ground rod and run a appropriately sized ground wire out to the solar array from the electrical service.
You do not specify the mounting of the panels, just guessing your panels are mounted on Aluminium rails and attached/buried in the ground. This causes another grounding issue.
I suggest you call your local authority and have your installation inspected. Not the power company.
Not knowing where you are on the planet makes it impossible to guess what is required in your locality.
The National Electrical Code is used frequently as a standard in N. America, Canada has its own code but not majorly different that the NEC. You really need to find out your local requirements.

Good grounding reading, with a lot of words that you will understand "Soars Book on Grounding". Lots of pics and drawings. A new version comes out with every NEC code cycle. Soars is based on the NEC which may not be the right code for you.

Old 09-11-19, 08:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 27 Posts
A conductor to an electrode like a rod has nothing to due with the neutral. Entirely different purposes.

A conductor to a rod never needs to be larger than #6.

Old 09-11-19, 09:11 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
All ground rods(cable, phone, solar, electric service etc.) must be connected with each other.

Old 09-12-19, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you never get a definite answer to a question like this. The solar rack is wooden. I guess I wont use
the second ground rod. I could just use the house ground via a receptcle in the house...that would be for the charge controller,Inverter chassis....the house ground/neutral would seem to better because
it connects to the primary neutral out on the pole and from there there is a limitless grounding
opportunity. Better than one 8 ft rod.
If I use the extra rod than I run the risk of lightning coming into the house and going straight into the controller and inverter and destroying everything solar related..If I use the house system it at least has a chance of jumping up to the pole via the fat neutral wire but there is no guarantee.
If the panels get hit by nearby lightning they are going to be destroyed anyway so its not worth worrying about.
Do you see any problem using the 12 ga ground wire in any nearby house receptacle and connecting that to my grounding buss bar on the charge controller/breaker panel....?

Old 09-12-19, 06:20 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
OK. we are designing a lightning protection system now.
Yes, the additional ground rods for a LPS should be bonded to the existing house ground system. Also, the 40 distance of the grounding conductor helps, not hurts. #6 bare copper for the run.