GFI Wiring

Old 09-12-19, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GFI Wiring

I have a 15 amp GFI outlet in the garage. It serve to protect an outlet outside and apparently a number of outlets in the house in both the living room and the basement. All the lights and tv's go out in those rooms whenever this GFI trips as a result of moisture associated with the outdoor outlet. We also have a refrigerator in the garage which is plugged in to the GFI outlet. A couple of questions: (1) can I put a second GFI outlet in the garage coming off the existing GFI outlet to separately control the refrigerator, and (2) how do I wire the existing GFI outlet so that it only protects the outside outlet but none of the other outlets connected to it inside the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-19, 08:35 AM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
The other receptacles must be attached to the LOAD side of the garage GFCI. You need to separate those lines and connect to the LINE side. They might be all in sequence and not easily separated. The simplest solution is to move the LOAD wires in the garage to the LINE side so that the garage only protects itself and nothing else. Then install a GFCI outside and do NOT use the LOAD connections. Install a GFCI for the fridge. The fridge being the garage is required to be GFCI.

Old 09-12-19, 09:20 AM
joed. Thank you so much for your reply and trying to help me. Let me see if I got this right. I will install a new weather resistant receptacle with a protective cover/box to the outside. I will then wire that receptacle to the load side of the existing GFI in the garage.
I will remove all the remaining wires connected to the load side of the existing GFI and pigtail them to the line side. Hopefully that's right. Lastly, how and where do I install the new GFI for the refrigerator in the garage.

Old 09-12-19, 10:19 AM
Let me see if I got this right. I will install a new weather resistant receptacle with a protective cover/box to the outside. I will then wire that receptacle to the load side of the existing GFI in the garage.
That will work if the other receptacles don't pass through the outside one.

Lastly, how and where do I install the new GFI for the refrigerator in the garage.
Remove the current receptacle that the fridge is plugged into and replace it with a new GFCI using only the LINE connections.

Old 09-12-19, 10:23 AM
the fridge was plugged into the existing GFI in the garage. I want to get it off of that one. Can I put a new GFI in the garage and hook it into the existing GFI in the garage?

Old 09-12-19, 02:10 PM
Yes you can hook it into the LOAD side of the existing GFCI.

Old 09-12-19, 07:34 PM
I actually want to make sure the refrigerator does not ever shut off so I believe I should connect it to the line side of the existing GFI. Am I correct in my analysis?

Old 09-13-19, 03:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
All receptacles in a garage are required to be GFCI protected. If you want the fridge to be powered from one that does not have GFCI you will have to move the fridge so it is not in the garage.

Other locations that require GFCI protection are:
Bathrooms
Kitchens
Laundry rooms
Outside
Garages
Unfinished basements (Changing in 2020 to all basements, finished or not)

Old 09-13-19, 06:42 AM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
not to hijack this, but I was going to ask the same question. This pic shows how I should maybe pigtail the line to power the GFI and pass thru to the load without gfi interference. Correct?

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-19, 08:10 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
"Pigtail the line to power the GFCI and pass through to the load."

This is optionally done so the GFCI receptacle unit protects just its own receptacles. The load terminals on the GFCI unit would be left empty.

The continuation may then be non-GFCI protected or may have additional more conveniently reached and reset GFCI units..

Old 09-13-19, 10:44 AM
Tolyn Ironhand
I want to put a separate GFCI in the garage to control just the refrigerator. How would I wire that one and the existing one in the garage with regard to LINE and LOAD requirements.

Old 09-13-19, 11:36 AM
If the existing GFCI has the refrigerator connected to the LOAD terminals, move the connection to the LINE terminals and then replace the existing fridge receptacle with a GFCI.