Brands of GFCI's

Old 09-14-19, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brands of GFCI's

Ready to install a number of GFCI's in garage and on front and back of house. Is there any one brand of GFCI that is better than the other or could you at least recommend one brand that you electricians find to be better. Conversely is there any brand I should stay away from.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-15-19, 06:42 PM
Furd
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Any well-known brand name (GE, Leviton, Pass & Semour) should be fine. I would stay away from the ones at Harbor Freight and similar stores.

Old 09-15-19, 06:42 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Any well-known brand name (GE, Leviton, Pass & Semour) should be fine. I would stay away from the ones at Harbor Freight and similar stores.

CasualJoe, Drangd, Zorfdt voted this post useful.
Old 09-16-19, 04:35 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I agree with Furd on this.

Also, be aware that the ones you purchase for the outdoor receptacles that they are WR (Weather Rated) and of course for those you use an "In-Use" bubble cover or the like.

Furd voted this post useful.
Old 09-18-19, 09:03 AM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
I like the Leviton and Eaton (old Arrow-Hart) GFCI devices, but absolutely refuse to use a Hubbell Residential GFCI device. These are the yellow back devices that I believe Lowes has switched to. I have found that the design on the Hubbell devices is so bad that a #12 copper ground wire cannot be wrapped around the green ground screw. The best you can do is get a 90 degree sharp bend in the ground wire and sort of hook it on the ground screw and then securely tighten it and hope the ground wire doesn't come off. Hubbell is an old company that has been around since the beginning and has always been noted for quality, but their residential line of devices is just crap.