How should I wire this?

Old 09-15-19, 01:35 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
How should I wire this?

I'm adding an interior switch and exterior light fixture from my lr. I have a receptacle that I can use for the load, but I wonder which is the best way to do this. The pic shows the stud locations as a yellow line.
-If I put the switch in the green box, then it is better located by the window, and the light will be next to the window, but I have to run it thru a stud. I'd need to cut a big hole in the wall to fish the wire thru that middle stud, then repair, mud, sand and paint it. Ughhh.
-If I use the red box location, the switch and light will be abt 20" away from the windows, but will be easy to fish up since there's no studs to go thru.

What would you do?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-19, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Utilizing the red location would certainly be the easiest route.

You could cut a box in at the green location and drill thru that box thru the stud to the right
and then fish down to the receptacle. This is do-able but not necessarily easy.

Old 09-15-19, 02:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Aesthetics would determine the location if I were installing the light. Which location looks better?

Old 09-16-19, 04:42 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You could also carefully pop the molding running along the floor below the studs off. You can cut a bit of the sheetrock that is behind the molding to give you access to the studs. Then drill your holes in that area thru the stud/s and run your cable there. Use nail guards and then patch that area behind the molding to build it out so when you nail the molding back into place it sit flush to the wall. This way you don't have to make any holes in the wall above the molding and less chance you will see any patching on the wall surface as long as you keep all cuts etc below the top of where the molding sits on the floor to the wall. Simple put the molding back on the wall and you won't see anything if done correctly.

maarkr voted this post useful.
Old 09-16-19, 06:32 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
Have you considered just wiring up the outside fixture (always on) and then using a remote controlled LED in it.

Old 09-17-19, 07:29 PM
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm considering the 'near the floor' option. Good idea on remote LED control but I want a wired wall switch. THX