Can THHN wiring be exposed the same way Romex can?

Old 09-16-19, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can THHN wiring be exposed the same way Romex can?

I have Romex cable exposed all through-out my basementís ceiling joists. If I have a conduit with THHN wiring inside of it, can I run the conduit up to the joists and expose the THHN wiring in the same fashion?
I definitely do not want to drill a 1Ē+ hole into my ceiling joists in order to pass the conduit through. Iím looking for a better option.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-19, 12:13 AM
Received 2 Votes on 1 Post
No. Attach the conduit to the bottom of the joists.

Old 09-17-19, 02:37 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
No you can not do that.

You can run the THHN wire in the conduit up to the joist to a junction box and then from there run Romex thru the joists to another junction box and then from that junction box continue on with your conduit and THHN wiring if need be.

Old 09-17-19, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Or, if you're just using the conduit for protection as the wiring goes down the wall, you can use a 2-3' piece of conduit as a jacket around the NM-B cable down to the outlet. The cable remains jacketed as-is and you use a standard NM clamp on the box. The conduit is just there for protection.

Old 09-18-19, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
To piggy-back on this question....

Am I allowed to run multiple circuits in the same conduit?

So, if I were to run one conduit attached to my ceiling joists, could I put THHN wiring inside the conduit from two separate circuits?

What if the two circuits are from a 2-pole breaker where it would be impossible to turn only one of the circuits off? Is that then allowed?

Old 09-18-19, 12:34 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
Am I allowed to run multiple circuits in the same conduit?
It's done all the time.

So, if I were to run one conduit attached to my ceiling joists, could I put THHN wiring inside the conduit from two separate circuits?
yes
What if the two circuits are from a 2-pole breaker where it would be impossible to turn only one of the circuits off? Is that then allowed?
not a problem.

It should be noted that only one ground is required sized to the largest circuit. You don't need a separate ground for each circuit.